gob

Renowned Member
Aug 4, 2011
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Hi

We have a single Proxmox VE 3.1 host which runs two guest servers:
Windows SBS 2011
Windows 2008 R2

A couple of months ago we had a problem when the main pve storage volume filled up, bringing both guest servers to their knees.
I managed to migrate one of the servers to a different storage volume and since then all seems to have been running OK...
Apart from an issue that occurs with one of the servers every Monday.

The SBS server grinds to a halt. Network connections to it are very slow. Logging into the console takes around 10 minutes and every mouse click takes around 2 minutes to register.
You would assume that something is completely thrashing the CPU/disks in the guest or there is no available memory etc. However all tests on the guests show that it is under no stress at all (see attached image).
Stats for the VM in the Proxmox gui report similar findings.
We have left it in this state for a couple of hours and the only way to recover seems to be to reboot the guest server (which takes around 20 minutes to shut down).

The other server on the host runs perfectly without issue.
We have checked for any scheduled tasks that might run on a Monday within the guest and there doesn't appear to be anything that coincides with the issue, nor anything in the event logs.
The Prox host backup is not running at that time and doesn't show any signs of stress.

I appreciate this is probably an issue with the Windows install but just thought I would run it by the forum to see if there is anything running on Proxmox each Monday that might be interfering with this server?

thanks.

Attachments

• hanging-server-not.JPG
    hanging-server-not.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
I have ran into some CPU type performance issues with a few of my KVM linux guests. For some reason the CPU performance drastically degrades. The only way I have found to get around this is by rebooting the host's them self. Definitely a very odd issue and I have seen it happen 4-5 times on different kernel's and linux flavors.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!