modified the wrong file

prox_usr

May 19, 2023
Well, I'm not proud, I played with this file
Code:
 /etc/network/interfaces
earlier today and VMs cant reach network now

Instead of using the GUI I used /etc/network/interfaces to make my changes. I removed an old pci card port name manually. I also remove a bridge that was not in service since a couple of weeks then I did this command : systemctl restart networking

When I did that, gui was still reachable, but no VMs was able to access the network, I double checked the file, everything was fine exept the removed lines.

Then I decided to reboot VMs to see whats happen. Then BOOM network back online!

It was the fix, but should I do something else? Is there something wrong if I reboot the proxmox ? Missing file somewhere?

thc

I assume this thread is for Proxmox VE (and not for the Mail Gateway)?
I moved the thread accordingly.

The issue is most likely due to running:
Code:
systemctl restart networking

This has never worked in PVE (and in my experience also not in most other situations) - the issue with PVE is that your VM's virtual nics lose the association to the bridge, through which they connect to the outside world

In PVE you can run `ifreload -a` to correctly reload your network config - or ... use the GUI

I hope this explains it!

I used the gui to apply random conf. For exemple adding a dummy bridge, then earase it to allow apply button. So if I understand well, you are saying that running ifreloas -a in shell can help to fix potential issue? Will a reboot do the same?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!