Mixed LVM/ZFS cluster... Migration?

tin

Renowned Member
Aug 14, 2010
Northwest NSW, Australia
If I've got 3 servers, two with default PVE created ZFS, and the other with default PVE created LVM-thin storage, is there a way to create a storage entry that works on both to store disk images so I can migrate containers between them?

I've got 20 containers currently sitting on 2 temporary PVE6.0 (installed as PVE5.4 then upgraded) servers using ZFS. I have just spent 2 weeks converting PVE3.4 OpenVZ containers to LXC on these spare boxes, backing up and restoring one at a time.
Most of them now need to be migrated back to the main server. This machine has a SAS RAID card, and no easy way to bypass it. Since ZFS on top of hardware RAID is considered a terrible idea, I went with EXT4 in the PVE installer.

What options exist? Am I best off just doing the reverse of what I did before, and just run a backup then restore for each container?

OK - I thought that would be the answer. Disappointing since it'll be slow, but sometimes that's just how life goes :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!