Missing creation time for LVM logical volume

malinal

Oct 7, 2020
Fot, Hungary
domaintank.hu
Hi,

One of our storage has an lvm volume group on which multiple logical volumes are not set the creating host name and time (LV Creation host, time attribute).
These were created quite a long time ago, but unfortunately (since the date is missing) I can’t say exactly. It can be many, many years, even 8-10.

Currently, we want to pull it under a Proxmox 6 (shared lvm via fiber, currently used by Proxmox 3), which we can’t do because Proxmox 6 needs creation time.

I couldn't find a command to set an exact time for this.
Can anyone help me how to set the hostname and creation time on an lvm logical volume?

Regards,
Laszlo

Could someone help me?

So, lvdisplay output example ( 1 volume, but there are 32 in total, 5 of which have no creation time):

LV Creation host, time attribute is empty.
Probably, created under proxmox 3 - is it possible that this attribute did not exist then?

--- Logical volume ---
LV Path /dev/stvg1/vm-103-disk-1
LV Name vm-103-disk-1
VG Name stvg1
LV UUID sbSgG8-4nuw-RwG5-skxe-J9e1-OkGo-ImEMfO
LV Write Access read/write
LV Creation host, time ,
LV Status available
# open 0
LV Size 1.50 TiB
Current LE 393216
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors auto
- currently set to 256
Block device 253:20

and proxmox error message when trying to read lvm volumes

Result verification failed (400)
[9].ctime: type check ('integer') failed - got ''
[8].ctime: type check ('integer') failed - got ''
[4].ctime: type check ('integer') failed - got ''
[7].ctime: type check ('integer') failed - got ''
[10].ctime: type check ('integer') failed - got ''

I ran into the same problem and couldn't find a way to add the metadata to the LV. So what I did was to move (from inside Proxmox) all the LV:s (I had 4-5) to another storage area and then back again. Then new LV:s got created with the appropriate metadata.

Regards,
/Martin

Small bump, got the same issue. Moving LV is not a preferred option.
Anyone that can hint me to another solution?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!