minimal config for pve

pattonb

Oct 20, 2020
I seemed to have 'hooped' my network config. I have edited the host file, and the /etc/network/interfaces
to see if I can get the management gui back, but no luck, is there a document with just a minimal config ? command preferred.

auto lo iface lo inet loopback auto eno1 iface eno1 inet static address 192.168.0.2/24 gateway 192.168.0.1
Replace eno1 with your actual NIC device and set the IP adresses accordingly.
If you messed with the hosts file, chances are, there is a lot more damaged than just your network config.
But good luck, anyway. :)

not quite sure what I did, however, when I added another nic to the server, I was able to get access again. It appears to me, the networking is
fubar, so I have re-installed. What I want to do is as follows.
I have 2 interfaces eno1 & eno2. eno1 is the internet facing interface and eno2 will be the lan side interface. I want to setup vm1, as the gateway/router, as well as run a dhcp & samba sever for the internal lan. The dhcp will provide ip's to the internal lan, ( which is a mixed setup, a macos filemaker server) among a number of workstations. eno1 will have a routable static ip. Will I need to have a bridge for eno1 and eno2. and is it prudent to asign a private ip ( non routable, ie. 192.168.X.X) to the bridge ?

You would assign either eno1 or vmbr0, which uses eno1, as net0 to the firewall VM and set it up there as WAN.
Then you would create vmbr1 bridging eno2 and assign it as net1 to the firewall VM and set it up there as LAN.
You can choose whatever address range you like, it should be different from vmbr0/eno1, though.
Every other VM will then be assigned vmbr1 as net0 and therefore get an address from the firewall's dhcp server.
You can connect a switch to eno2 if you want and have also physical machines go through the firewall.

You can also assign eno1 as net0/WAN to the firewall VM and rewrite vmbr0 to use eno2. Be aware though that the host will then be only reachable when the firewall VM is running.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!