Mini how to Install Proxmox Virtual Enviroment

L

luxiter

Hi everyone
i'm try to do a little and simple guide to explain how to install ProxMox in my configuration i hope can help you.

So my configurations is 4 IBM 3850M2 server (8 core intel xeon E7210 128GB RAM 4 network port and 2 fiber port each), all server have 2 copper cable in trunk mode over cisco switch.

My goal is install and cluterize all servers

First step is to create a USB bootable pendrive, you can follow the guide on proxmox site very easy.

I don't reserved a lan port for configure proxmox but i want to use the bonding after installation.
After this we can install proxmox (for now you can use an fake IP don't panic, we can setup lan after).

So finished installation go in server console login and now start to configure bond and the IP of your proxmox server.

i put my configurations here (remeber to clear the installation config):
"/etc/network/interfaces"

# network interface settings

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
iface eth2 inet manual
iface eth3 inet manual
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves eth0 eth1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode balance-rr
up ifconfig 0.0.0.0 up

auto bond0.781
iface bond0.781 inet manual
vlan-raw-device bond0
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 10.125.x.x
netmask 255.255.255.xxx
gateway 10.125.x.x
bridge_ports bond0.781
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
vlan-raw-device bond0
up ifconfig 0.0.0.0 up
##################################

Now i explain my network config
First step i must create a bonding for my ethernet, after i make a tagged bond this is for use in the first network-bridge (i use vmbr0 to configure proxmox).
The last vmbr1 is an universal bridge that can i use for all VM and i can use for all VLAN.
So when i create a VM in the confiug i must specify vmbr1 to use and i must specify VLAN that nic must use.

Now i can install other 3 machine and repeat the config after this i can make a cluster (see proxmox guide).

Now you have a cluster with only 2 network bridge on all VLAN that you want.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!