MIGRATION WINDOWS VM .VMDK TO PVE

manusamir

Jul 9, 2015
Hi all,
I have a problem with a migration of a windows server vm (vmdk) from vmware to pve.
I try this:
First on the vmware machine I installed from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers all drivers.

Conversion
qemu-img convert -c -p -O qcow2 Z:\VMWARE-VM.vmdk Z:\PVE-VM.qcow2

Upload to local server disk and create a vm with same charateristics (equal ram cpu and virtio for network).
So now the first question:
At this step if I read on this post: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE - in
Adapt the new KVM Virtual Machine section it tells that:
  • Go to the hardware tab on the web interface and remove the default harddisk file
  • Add the migrated harddisk as IDE for windows (only IDE works for windows) or SCSI for Linux
  • 2012-09-24: virtio now also works for windows, but it can not boot from it the first time. So boot as IDE, then shutdown, add or change a 2. harddisk as virtio, then boot up. Then shut down. Then change the ide0 to virtio0, I do that using vi in the console. Then you can boot up windows again, and it will change to the virtio driver, and say that the driver is from RedHat.
  • Start the new Virtual Machine via the management interface
  • First boot takes some time as some drives has to be loaded
  • Do not forget to install Paravirtualized_Network_Drivers_for_Windows
  • Finished!
I try first time with ide drive and don't boot..the second time with virtio disk of the same size and boot but it blocks on windows server 2003 initial loading...and the last with a ide drive with os and a second virtio but it blocks again on loading..I don't understand the guide and I have to do this migration.

Thanks in advance,
Emanuele Al Koudsi

Have you applied the merge-ide fixes on the VMware side before migrating to Proxmox? Is your guest on VMware on IDE if not, it'll not work (according to the guide)? The crucial part is to have IDE working, the virtio-stuff is only for faster emulation.

And why on earth are you still using this unsupported version of windows server?

Now the vm boot but i have problem with scsi driver and network driver..I insert a iso in the cd (virtio driver from fedora project) and I force to check in it but nothing happen..it install the redhat virtio drivers but the machine doesn't like it...I set ide for hd and virtio for network...the vmware machine had scsi drive and realtec net...I think is for that...Thanks for the moment..

Emanuele

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!