Migration Windows VM from Parallel cloud Server to Proxmox

parker0909

Aug 5, 2019
Hello All,

I am facing some problem when we try to migrate the windows VM from parallel cloud server to Proxmox.
I tried to use the clonezilla to clone the data to new proxmox VM. After partition cloning, i tried to start the VM, but the VM keep to reboot in the windows loading page.

Anyone can share some experience to do the migration for windows VM?

Thank you

What do you mean with "Windows loading page"?

Possible problems that I can think of:
  • does the VM expect to boot in UEFI and not BIOS?
  • did you set the HDD driver to Virtio Block or SCSI and the VM has no drivers for it installed?

Thank you.

I can see the windows loading bar(attached print screen) than the VM will reboot and showing the proxmox startup page again.
  • does the VM expect to boot in UEFI and not BIOS?
  • Yes. i tried to change the Bios to UEFI,but i cant to boot the harddrive normally(attached the print screen UEFI.png and UEFI_booting.png).
  • did you set the HDD driver to Virtio Block or SCSI and the VM has no drivers for it installed?
  • Should be Virtio SCSI

I have tired to changed to other SCSI controller but it should not be working to boot up the windows.Thank you.

Attachments

• UEFI.png
    UEFI.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 15
  • UEFI_booting.png
    UEFI_booting.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Booting.png
    Booting.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 13
If you don't even see the Windows loading bar in UEFI mode it must have been installed in BIOS mode. So change that back.

My guess is that that Windows does not have the drivers for Virtio-SCSI installed yet. Try to change the disk type.

Go to the hardware view, detach the disk and then edit it.
Don't forget to go to the options view and fix the Boot order to the new disk type before you boot it again.

Try SATA and if that does not work IDE.

If it boots you can then get the drivers installed (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers) before changing back to the Virtio-SCSI disk type.

One way for Windows to search for the right driver is to add a second temporary drive (Virtio-SCSI) so Windows realizes it has a new device without the necessary driver, then point it to the Virtio Driver CD to look for the right driver. Once that is done you can remove the temporary drive.

If you don't even see the Windows loading bar in UEFI mode it must have been installed in BIOS mode. So change that back.

My guess is that that Windows does not have the drivers for Virtio-SCSI installed yet. Try to change the disk type.

Go to the hardware view, detach the disk and then edit it.
Don't forget to go to the options view and fix the Boot order to the new disk type before you boot it again.

Try SATA and if that does not work IDE.

If it boots you can then get the drivers installed (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_VirtIO_Drivers) before changing back to the Virtio-SCSI disk type.

One way for Windows to search for the right driver is to add a second temporary drive (Virtio-SCSI) so Windows realizes it has a new device without the necessary driver, then point it to the Virtio Driver CD to look for the right driver. Once that is done you can remove the temporary drive.

Thank you. it is working for me to do the migration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!