Migration to Proxmox 2.0

kokoticek

Jun 7, 2010
Hello.
I am using debian squeeze (64bit) with virt-manager, but I found proxmox and I am interesting to use it,
First of all my server has no LVM, but typical partition map with ext3. I have also second the same machine (no partitions yet) which I hope to use. I will be grateful for any advice how to migrate to proxmox with high avaibility option. Also how to migrate the virtuals (kvm).

With a debian 64 configured system i use this method:

Install proxmox2 on second machine
and then create the vms via interface and later
import the kvm files in the /var/lib/vz/images/VMID/imgae.qcow2/raw

Adapt the config via interface and live happy

Don't forget that scsi is not more bootable withouth an external rom.

Change the drivers to ide or virtio or download the scsi rom

Diaolin

How about changes partitions to LVMs and high availability ? Is it necessary ?
What with vms configs (brdige LAN, memory, cpus etc ) ? Should I prepare it again ?

How about changes partitions to LVMs and high availability ? Is it necessary ?
What with vms configs (brdige LAN, memory, cpus etc ) ? Should I prepare it again ?
Hi,
for HA you need shared storage. Means, the storage is avaiable on all nodes, where the VM sould be runable.
This can be an nfs-share, or an lvm-storage in a SAN (like FC or iscsi), or lvm-storage on drbd (only possible between two nodes).
Of course you can also build something with an cluster-filesystem, but lvm is easy to use and fast.

About bridges: You don't need the same network config on all nodes, but the bridges for the VMs must be present (with the same name) on the nodes, where the VM can run.

Udo

Thanks for advice. I read and have decided to try drbd. I have two servers and each has 250gb mirroring by hardware raid, so i can only use one hard drive (250gb) per server. I thinking about lvm on each one with:
/boot 128mb
swap 2gb
lvm rest
But how about drbd ? I dont think is it good idea to create it on lvm and create another lvm in drbd. Maybe I am wrong ? Any advice about it ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!