[SOLVED] migration pve cluster from enterprise v. 6.3 to no-subscription v. 6.4

ioo

Renowned Member
Oct 1, 2011
Hi!

There was fine running licenced 22 hosts proxmox v. 6.3 cluster last year. And things proceeded this way that probably temporarily there are no licences to use i.e. licences are expired. Still, cluster runs fine. Because of several reasons i would like this cluster be upgraded so to say in-place-way to v. 6.4 and using no-subscription repository at the moment.

I followed this procedure, first on one node (this node uses separate ceph storage resource over network and openvswitch-switch)

0. pveversion -> pve-manager/6.3-3/eee5f901 (running kernel: 5.4.78-2-pve)
1. apt sources are like this now

# cat ceph.list deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/ceph-octopus buster main # cat pve-enterprise.list # deb https://enterprise.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-enterprise # cat pve-no-subscription.list deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription

2. apt-get update --allow-releaseinfo-change
3. apt-mark hold libnvpair1linux libuutil1linux libzfs2linux libzpool2linux proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.4
4. apt-get dist-upgrade
5. apt-mark unhold libnvpair1linux libuutil1linux libzfs2linux libzpool2linux proxmox-ve pve-firmware pve-kernel-5.4
6. apt-get dist-upgrade
7. reboot
8. pveversion -> pve-manager/6.4-14/15e2bf61 (running kernel: 5.4.174-2-pve)

And after reboot everything seems running beautifully and dpkg -l \*pve\* shows pve v. 6.4 packages. This apt-mark hold and unhold was for some reason necessary otherwise it wanted to remove proxmox-ve and several other packages.

I would like to ask you if this would be appropriate procedure so far?

And since i have under 'webgui Host → Subscription' Expired subscription key (plus there is button Remove Subscription) how would be correct to handle this subscription part, i.e. to remove subscription keys on every node of cluster before beginning upgrading with before mentioned procedure; or leave this expired state be? Also, at some point in time i intend to again start buying subscription. Is there reason to worry that fiddling with subscription will break cluster, need reboot etc?

Thank you for your very fine software, best regards,

Imre

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if you remove the expired subscription. The cluster will still work the same.
Subscriptions are for access to the enterprise repository and for Basic and higher subscriptions, also support via the support portal [0].
Other than that, pve-no-subscription contains newer, less well tested packages compared to pve-enterprise. But in time all packages, if their tests are successful, are moved to pve-enterprise as well.

Your upgrade procedure sounds fine. Could you provide the output of a dry-run where we can see which packages are to be installed and which are to be removed if you don't mark those packages?

Did you install PVE on top of Debian?

Hi!

I am sorry to get back so late on this, main reason seems to be that that upgrade of mine went very well, everything works beautifully ever since :) And other reason is that since i inherited this cluster i dont know exactly its history or how it came to be (and in its all nodes came to be the same way i.e. the same proxmox host install procedure was used). I asked predecessors and got indications that proxmox was installed on top on vanilla debian as pve packages.

I write mainly this current entry to say thanks to mira answering here and to close this thread.

Best regards,

Imre

Glad to hear that!

If you consider it solved, then please mark the thread as `Solved`. You can do so by clicking `Edit Thread` above your first post and selecting the prefix `[SOLVED]`.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!