Migration of VM with Passed through disks to new Hardware.

DavidKahl

Aug 15, 2021
Germany
Hi All,

I hope you're all well and healthy.

I have a questions which I cant seem to answer from existing posts and the proxmox documentation. So maybe you guys have some advice.

I'm about to transition one node to a new hardware and setup and will migrate all VM/CT to the new Hardware and consequently replace the node in the cluster. The CT's arent the issue but the VM has 2 4TB passed though disks to the VM. When i seem to want to migrate these it wants to migrate those disks too, however i'll be hotswapping them to the new device which is why i only need the migration on the actual local-LVM which hosts the OS.

Any advice on what would be the best way to deal with this? I was thinking of restoring from a Backup but that's offsite in the cluster so may take longer on the setup. Swapping the Main SSD isnt an option as its beyond its life already (one of several reasons to transition).

Appreciate you thoughts.

Best,

David

So all you need is to copy the VM config, as the data is on the 2 disks and will be moved to the new host?

If so, you can copy the config in /etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf to the new host.
First shut down the VM though. And you should be able to start it again once the disks are in the new host.

You could shut down the VM, comment out the disk passthrough lines with '#' and then move the VM.
Then when on the other node and the disks are available, simply uncomment them again.

I assume you used /dev/disk/by-id for the disks?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!