[Migration] Disk moved, but network still maxed out

Nov 16, 2022
Sweden
Trying to move a 6000 GB disk, and it's been running for 1 day now (24 hours). I can see that the disk is moved (space allocated, and `nload` said it transferred more than 9000 GB so far) but it's still running...

The disk are LVM-thin, and Discard=off (not set).

So what actually happens in the background? I mean `nload` says that more than 9000 GB is already moved - did it time out? It's still transferring data as it seems.... CPU dropped at the same time as network got even more busy. I'm confused.

1693081105204.png

1693081168781.png
1693081196295.png
1693081221214.png

Last edited:
Hi,
how much is the VM writing to the disk? Every new write to a block that was already migrated needs to be migrated too of course. After the disk migration, the VM's RAM needs to be transferred. What does the migration task log show you?

Reactions: Leonardo Mercadante
Hi,
how much is the VM writing to the disk? Every new write to a block that was already migrated needs to be migrated too of course. After the disk migration, the VM's RAM needs to be transferred. What does the migration task log show you?

The customer decided to reboot the server in the middle of the second attempt, super smart move. Haven't heard anything since.

Reactions: Leonardo Mercadante

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!