migration behavior on post-stop-hooks on LXC vs KVM

hk@

Renowned Member
Feb 10, 2010
Vienna
kapper.net
We're currently relying on pre-start and post-stop hooks to basically configure the networking and routing for LXCs or KVMs.
During PVE7.3 tests for HA and migration automation we experience the quite unexpected thing:
The "loosing" PVE-node getting the LXC/KVM removed does execute the "post-stop" hook for LXCs.
Yet it is not being executed for KVMs.
I know there's been discussion around new-hooks at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1996
my argument would be consistency to have to post-stop hook executed if indeed a virtual system has been stopped on this hardware (even if it vanished into thin air and incarnate live at another PVE-node at this moment)

thx
hk

Hi,
the difference is that containers are actually stopped before the migration happens, but VMs are live-migrated. For VMs, when the post-stop hook would need to be executed, the configuration file is already on the other node and I think that was the reason that it's not executed. Changing it now would be a breaking change, as users might already be relying on that behavior (of the hook not getting executed), so we could only do it for a major release. But I think the dedicated migration hook are the better approach.

Hi,
I take whatever hook we could get, I'd even take a start-stop-migration for KVM option in the HA management as with live we can not handle this issue in any way - and better to have a working networking-setup than a migrated KVM which is now offline for the world...

Also - and there I'd argue for consistency the pre-start is executed on migration, which if the argument would be "live migration" also probably shouldn't happen. Or - if the feature should not be changed by default which I'm all in favor of, give us an option to enable pre-start and post-stop for virtual systems so one can determine if or if not those hooks should be executed. The current system of executing hooks or not is in itself inconsistent imho.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!