Migrating Win2022 VM from Esxi (boot fail)

wav3front

Aug 31, 2024
HI,

I imported a Windows 2022 VM from Esxi to ProxMox.
It does not boot, and I get this error:

"inaccessible boot device"

I understand that I need to install VirtIO drivers, but how it that done, since I cannot boot into Windows?

Thanks
Alex

Hardware / select the existing Hard Disk, click Detach. Double click the unattached disk and use IDE for controller type. Then go to Options and fix the Boot Order for IDE. Power it up.

Reactions: wav3front
Yes. Always use the virtio disk and networking. Get it booted, install the virtio driver ISO. Add a temp 1GB Virtio disk as a second Hard Disk. Boot it up make sure the drivers are working. Then power it off, remove the temp 1GB Hard Disk. Change the boot disk over to viritio and adjust the Options to set it to boot.

Alternatively, if you already have a second drive to migrate over from ESXi, set that one to virtio already while keeping the first one on sata (I usually use sata over EDI for disks).
Regarding multiple disks though, whatever route you go, the disk will most likely show up as offline on the first boot after the switch, so prepare accordingly (aka, if some service uses/requires that drive, set the service to disabled before the reboot and only re-enable after you've fixed the drive)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!