Migrating VMs

Grunt

Sep 6, 2022
I currently have a less than optimally configured TrueNAS storage solution. I need to upgrade the disks on it and change the layout of the disks. However, I don't have a way to add any disks to it to use as a temporary storage. What would be a good way of migrating my VMs off that storage device temporarily?

I was thinking I could get an external USB hdd and migrate the storage over to it. Does that sound possible? I realize performance on the VMs may suffer, but its a home lab, nothing mission critical anywhere.

Hi,
yes, you can just configure the new HDD as a directory storage [your node] > Disks > Directory > Create:Directory and then in the VM's Hardware tab you can select each disk and do Disk Action > Move Storage. Alternatively, but the VMs won't be able to stay running then, you can create backups to the HDD and restore afterwards.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!