Migrating physcial Windows 2003 servers using selfimage, fail to boot

I am getting it to save to a mounted shared drive on the server. The shared drive is being provided by a Samba shared from a local linux server on the network.

Yes, have run mergeide.reg many times before trying the conversion.

Trying to convert Windows 2003, on three separate servers:-

Dell PE29502, Dell Poweredge 1950 and also a HP DL360.

Happy to provide a login, if this will help.

Dave

I am getting it to save to a mounted shared drive on the server. The shared drive is being provided by a Samba shared from a local linux server on the network.

Yes, have run mergeide.reg many times before trying the conversion.

Trying to convert Windows 2003, on three separate servers:-

Dell PE29502, Dell Poweredge 1950 and also a HP DL360.

Happy to provide a login, if this will help.

Dave

I Have used those systems before with vmware converter,PM me if you want me to take a look we can talk about what needs to be done.

I will definitely PM you.....my skype name is abadger1406 (if you use skype). Now about to find the PM button....

I also noted in an old thread on this site that someone had this message to get P2V working...just maybe a pointer to the problems we are seeing ?

>>Great Success!

>>I found the issue, it was due to the Intel Ultra ATA service/driver combo. I uninstalled this and rebooted, then imaged the drive. Works perfectly now! Hopefully this >>helps somebody else when migrating an old Win2K box to a VM.

I will definitely PM you.....my skype name is abadger1406 (if you use skype). Now about to find the PM button....

I also noted in an old thread on this site that someone had this message to get P2V working...just maybe a pointer to the problems we are seeing ?

>>Great Success!

>>I found the issue, it was due to the Intel Ultra ATA service/driver combo. I uninstalled this and rebooted, then imaged the drive. Works perfectly now! Hopefully this >>helps somebody else when migrating an old Win2K box to a VM.

Its always a good thing to removed any and all old drivers from the system either before or after the conversion. I know that you will have a lot of ghost hardware after the conversion that you will have to remove.

Not so far, still trying to get the HP DL360 converted to KVM....have tried selfimage and VMware convertor, have not yet tried clonezilla.

Last edited:
How do you remove 'any and all old drivers' from a windows 2003 server ?

Not sure if you got my system message to you, but you can either email me on dave @ netfm . org or skype me at abadger1406 to arrange a time to give you login access to the server...if that is ok with you ?

Thx Dave

Last edited:
How do you remove 'any and all old drivers' from a windows 2003 server ?

Not sure if you got my system message to you, but you can either email me on dave @ netfm . org or skype me at abadger1406 to arrange a time to give you login access to the server...if that is ok with you ?

Thx Dave

I msg you back check your inbox =D

1. Access the Command prompt as administrator then From the command prompt on the problem server, run:

C:\>set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

C:\>start devmgmt.msc

2. Then, select View from the drop down and select to Show Hidden Devices.

Have attached a screen shot of the devices list on the HP DL 360 server, showing the two compaq disk devices.

Don't think I can remove these ?

Dave

Attachments

• devices.png
    devices.png
    12 KB · Views: 32
I msg you back check your inbox =D

1. Access the Command prompt as administrator then From the command prompt on the problem server, run:

C:\>set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

C:\>start devmgmt.msc

2. Then, select View from the drop down and select to Show Hidden Devices.

- what if you can get into command prompt?
- are you saying that your instruction should be done in Windows recovery mode?

- what if you can get into command prompt?

correction:
- what if you "CAN'T" get into command prompt?

I have three Windows 2003 servers running on HP Dl360, Dell Poweredge 1950 and Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers.

To migrate these to a KVM virtual machine I firstly tried vmware converter without sucess (BSOD on boot).

So have tried using selfimage as follows:-

1. Installed and run mergeide.reg
2. Installed selfimage - and made an image of the whole disk. (Note machines have a Perc raid card in them).
qemu-img create -f qcow2 disk.qcow2 200G
qemu-nbd -t -p 2000 diosk.qcow2

3. Attached the disk.qcow2 as a IDE device to a new VM

4. It fails to boot....
Booting from Hard Disk...
Error loading operating system

I not sure whether I need to load some disk drivers onto these systems, I note that if I load these disks into a Linux VM, fdisk -l reports no valid partition table on them.

Any help with P2V (physical to virtual) for windows 2003 servers much appreciated.

Dave

If i

Use selfimage I have the same problem.

Anybody try Disk2vhd ?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415

This may or may not help, but I discovered this http://www.aomeitech.com/ recently and it works perfectly. At least it did imaging and restoring my laptop. It's a bit like Acronis, but not with as many bells and whistles. You can make a bootable CD - eithe a Linux one or a WinPE one, and you need a DHCP server if you want to restore your image across the network, as there is no way to manually change your network address. You can install and image without rebooting. Might not help so much with the drivers, but may be useful in actually making the image.

It's works perfectly fine ! I have used it to migrate physical and xenserver windows vm.
The big advantage vs selfimage, is that it's use windows shadow copy snapshots.

you just need to convert the generated vhd file to raw or qcow2, with "qemu-img convert"

Thanks. Just use Disk2vhd convert one machine,but have new problem:
Orig windows 2003 is HP OEM version, so in the KVM vm I must reactivate it :(

Google find this : seaslic
https://github.com/ghuntley/seaslic
http://patrickshansyd.blogspot.hk/2012/07/using-kvm-install-windows7-guest-system.html

Can I use seaslic safely on ProxmoxVE's seabios ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!