Migrating network from linux-bridge to OVS - and it's incredibly confusing

ivdok

Mar 12, 2019
What I want to achieve:
  • Several predefined interfaces available to choose from, which have static VLAN ID set up, and neither guest VM nor PVE are managing/aware of VLAN assignment. They are needed to avoid manual labor with giving access to common VLANs. Vast majority of VMs uses them for external IP assignments, manually filling them out would be a major PITA.
  • One interface, which is virtual and VLAN-aware, and VLAN ID assignment is done via Proxmox GUI. It is managed by MikroTik CHR, which uses same interface, but is untagged and manages VLAN separation and traffic inside it.
  • VMs on said virtual interface and with same VLAN ID can connect to each other, even when they are on different Proxmox nodes.

How it was done previously:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual
iface eno2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_ports eno1.40
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#Predefined

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 172.11.11.11
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 172.11.11.1
    bridge_ports eno1.30
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#Management

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
    address    198.51.100.11  #actually unused
    netmask    255.255.255.0 #actually unused
    bridge_ports none
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_vlan_aware yes
#CHR
Note that bullet 3 was unachievable, hence the need to move to Open vSwitch.
My new OVS config is like this:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
allow-vmbr0 eno1
iface eno1 inet manual
    ovs_bridge vmbr0
    ovs_type OVSPort
    ovs_options tag=40 vlan_mode=native-untagged
    ovs_mtu 9000

auto eno2
allow-vmbr0 eno2
iface eno2 inet manual

allow-ovs vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
    ovs_type OVSBridge
    pre-up ( ifconfig eno1 mtu 9000 && ifconfig eno2 mtu 9000 )
    ovs_ports eno1 vlan30 vlan700 vlan40
    ovs_mtu 9000
#Central Bridge

allow-vmbr0 vlan30
iface vlan30 inet static
    ovs_type OVSIntPort
    ovs_bridge vmbr0
    ovs_options tag=30
    ovs_extra set interface ${IFACE} external-ids:iface-id=$(hostname -s)-${IFACE}-vif
    address 172.11.11.11
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 172.11.11.1
    ovs_mtu 9000
#Management

allow-vmbr0 vlan700
iface vlan700 inet static
    ovs_type OVSIntPort
    ovs_bridge vmbr0
    ovs_extra set interface ${IFACE} external-ids:iface-id=$(hostname -s)-${IFACE}-vif
    ovs_mtu 9000
    address    198.51.100.11
    netmask    255.255.255.0
#CHR

allow-vmbr0 vlan40
iface vlan40 inet manual
    ovs_type OVSIntPort
    ovs_bridge vmbr0
    ovs_options tag=40
    ovs_mtu 9000
#Predefined
And not only it doesn't work as I expected, I'm already both out of applicable to my usecase documentation (OVS+ifupdown seems like uncommon solution outside of PVE, everything else is either ovs-* CLI tools, or libvirt/openstack related) and confused AF, since I was replicating official doc, and it doesn't work as expected.

What doesn't work:
1. I can only select vmbr0, and all OVSIntPorts are unselectable. And there's conficting information - one source says that IntPorts are for management, and therefore unaccessible to guest VM by design, other (to be precise - Ex. 1) suggests that admin should define OVSBridge, OVSIntPorts, and said bridge, together with VLAN pseudointerfaces, will be selectable from networks list in VM properties. I just want it the same way as old Linux bridges behaved.
2. Even if I, say, resolve this problem, I have a feeling that CHR interface won't allow intra-cluster connections between VMs in single VLANs, as described in bullet 3. I saw guides about creating GRE tunnels in order to do this, but can I just config OVS to do it instead? I mean, they are inside single physical switch, within single port group, and why would I want another L2 abstraction? Besides, tunnel solution won't scale. With 3 nodes it's manageable. With 5 - too. Anything bigger will quickly become slow, error-prone and simply inefficient, and I don't know anything about OpenFlow, that further complicates the task.

My brain is completely scrambled by this point. Is there any sane way, sane configs, sane docs to accomplish this?

P.S. Yes, I do have openvswitch-switch package and recent enough Proxmox VE, but since you're gonna ask it anyway, here:
proxmox-ve: 6.1-2 (running kernel: 5.3.10-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.1-3 (running version: 6.1-3/37248ce6)
pve-kernel-5.3: 6.0-12
pve-kernel-helper: 6.0-12
pve-kernel-5.0: 6.0-11
pve-kernel-4.15: 5.4-9
pve-kernel-5.3.10-1-pve: 5.3.10-1
pve-kernel-5.0.21-5-pve: 5.0.21-10
pve-kernel-5.0.21-3-pve: 5.0.21-7
pve-kernel-5.0.21-2-pve: 5.0.21-7
pve-kernel-4.15.18-21-pve: 4.15.18-48
pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve: 4.15.18-36
ceph-fuse: 12.2.12-pve1
corosync: 3.0.2-pve4
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.13-pve1
libpve-access-control: 6.0-5
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 6.0-9
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-3
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-3
libpve-storage-perl: 6.1-2
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve3
lxc-pve: 3.2.1-1
lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve60
novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1
openvswitch-switch: 2.10.0+2018.08.28+git.8ca7c82b7d+ds1-12+deb10u1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.1-1
pve-cluster: 6.1-2
pve-container: 3.0-14
pve-docs: 6.1-3
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20191002-1
pve-firewall: 4.0-9
pve-firmware: 3.0-4
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-8
pve-i18n: 2.0-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 4.1.1-2
pve-xtermjs: 3.13.2-1
qemu-server: 6.1-2
smartmontools: 7.0-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.2-pve2

Hi,

>>. I can only select vmbr0, and all OVSIntPorts are unselectable.

where ? in vm configuration nic ? if yes, this is expected, as you can only choose a bridge/switch.

OVSIntPorts are really only internal vlan tagged interface, to setup ip(s) on differents vlans.
ovs is like a vlan-aware linux bridge, the vlan tag are setup port by port, like a real switch, and proxmox is doing it when vm are started. (from the vm nic tag config)

if you want to do something like
Code:
auto vmbr0
  iface vmbr0 inet manual
  bridge_ports eno1.40
  bridge_stp off
  bridge_fd 0
that mean that they are no vlan in the bridge, and tag are setup when the packet is going out through eno1.40.

I think this is what you have tried to do with

Code:
auto eno1
allow-vmbr0 eno1
iface eno1 inet manual
    ovs_bridge vmbr0
    ovs_type OVSPort
    ovs_options tag=40 vlan_mode=native-untagged
    ovs_mtu 9000

that seem correct (but I'm not an ovs expert). This is doesn't work for you ?

>>. Even if I, say, resolve this problem, I have a feeling that CHR interface won't allow intra-cluster connections between VMs in single VLANs, as >>described in bullet 3. I saw guides about creating GRE tunnels in order to do this, but can I just config OVS to do it instead? I mean, they are >>inside single physical switch, within single port group, and why would I want another L2 abstraction? Besides, tunnel solution won't scale. With 3 >>nodes it's manageable. With 5 - too. Anything bigger will quickly become slow, error-prone and simply inefficient, and I don't know anything >>about OpenFlow, that further complicates the task.

If I understand correctly (but I'm not sure ;),
you have some tagged vlan for the vms in vm nic config (the vlan-aware linux bridge)
and some others vm on vmbr with vlan tag setup in vm, but vlan is setup on eth.X. (to have a fixed list)

I don't think it's possible with openvswitch, as you only have only 1 switch. (and you need to use the tag option of the vm)

I don't understand exactly what is not working with linux bridge ? ("that bullet 3 was unachievable")

you could do something like:

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
bridge_ports eno1.40
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
#Predefined

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 172.11.11.11
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 172.11.11.1
    bridge_ports eno1.30
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
#Management

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
    bridge_ports eno1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_vlan_aware yes

auto vmbr2.700
iface vmbr2.700 inet static
    address    198.51.100.11  #actually unused
    netmask    255.255.255.0 #actually unused

#CHR

that seem correct (but I'm not an ovs expert). This is doesn't work for you ?
No, that's not it. The way I want it to work (and how it did work previously) was several bridges with predefined IDs, and one virtual with configurable ID on per-vm basis, and after that router VM managed all tagged traffic on the bridge. While your example will work, it'll only have one selectable bridge with defined tag + pass-through for the others. To cover the needs, there should be several more virtual interfaces with predefined VLANs (I've omitted extra from example in order to provide minimal repeatable example, but there are more interfaces like vlan30 and vlan40 mentioned above)

I don't understand exactly what is not working with linux bridge ? ("that bullet 3 was unachievable")
Exactly what it says in it - there is no interconnect between VMs in the same VLAN and interface (named as CHR), because it's virtual, and doesn't use any NICs. While it worked for a while, it's no longer practical to confine all VMs behind that router to one cluster node, and I don't have budget to spin up another copies of CHR as it's licensed per VM, and inside vCenter cluster it works on all ESXi nodes in a cluster, so it's hard to justify the costs to supply dept.
In VMware cluster it works by the means of VMware vSwitch, which is similar in function to Open vSwitch, hence the need to migrate to it.

>>No, that's not it. The way I want it to work (and how it did work previously) was several bridges with predefined IDs, and one virtual with >>configurable ID on per-vm basis, and after that router VM managed all tagged traffic on the bridge. While your example will work, it'll only have one >>selectable bridge with defined tag + pass-through for the others. To cover the needs, there should be several more virtual interfaces with >>predefined VLANs (I've omitted extra from example in order to provide minimal repeatable example, but there are more interfaces like vlan30 and >>vlan40 mentioned above)

It's not possible with proxmox + ovs . The only way is to have an abstraction somewhere, which defined couple of vmbr0/vlan tag.
I'm currently working on a new sdn feature for proxmox (for 6.2 is possible), it'll be possible to define vswitchs at datacenter level, with permissions, with fixed vlan by vswitch. I don't have implemented ovs yes, but it should be possible to add it too.
Also, I'll be possible to do routing with vxlan + anycast gateway (each vmbr of each node have the same ip, acting as gateway for the vms), like vmware nsx for example)

>>Exactly what it says in it - there is no interconnect between VMs in the same VLAN and interface (named as CHR), because it's virtual, and doesn't >>use any NICs
sorry, but I don't known what CHR is ...

so if I understand, you have a CHR vm (a router ?), this vm have 1nic in vmbr2 (vlan-aware), and you manage tags inside this chr vm ?. This router is inter-vlan gateway for the others vm ?
Maybe if you have a network schema (physical network + proxmost bridges + vms + chr) if i'll be easier to understand your setup.

Reactions: dimi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!