Migrating from VirtualBox to Proxmox, with ZFS storage

danb35

Renowned Member
Oct 31, 2015
I've installed Proxmox VE 4 on ZFS (currently a single disk for testing, will be on a larger pool in production), and set up ZFS storage on the server. I've created a couple of VMs on the machine, and I see that their virtual disks are being created as zvols, which makes perfect sense.

I have a couple of VMs running under VirtualBox that I'd like to migrate to Proxmox. Google finds a number of descriptions of how the conversion can be done (the most recent one I see is http://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/1218-upload-ova-to-proxmox-kvm), but they all seem to involve converting a .vmdk virtual disk file into a .qcow2 virtual disk file. Is there a way I haven't found yet to convert the .vmdk to a zvol?

I've installed Proxmox VE 4 on ZFS (currently a single disk for testing, will be on a larger pool in production), and set up ZFS storage on the server. I've created a couple of VMs on the machine, and I see that their virtual disks are being created as zvols, which makes perfect sense.

I have a couple of VMs running under VirtualBox that I'd like to migrate to Proxmox. Google finds a number of descriptions of how the conversion can be done (the most recent one I see is http://www.jamescoyle.net/how-to/1218-upload-ova-to-proxmox-kvm), but they all seem to involve converting a .vmdk virtual disk file into a .qcow2 virtual disk file. Is there a way I haven't found yet to convert the .vmdk to a zvol?

use the "move disk" button on the GUI?

That would seem like the obvious choice, not sure how I missed it. Thanks!

To carry the thought further, if the GUI will move/convert a virtual disk image to a zvol, there really isn't any reason to manually convert a .vmdk into a .qcow2, is there? The workflow would then look like:
  • Copy .vmdk to proxmox box
  • Create VM to suitable specs, using a .vmdk virtual disk
  • Copy the existing .vmdk over the newly-created one
  • Use move disk in the GUI to convert the .vmdk into a zvol

Right?

yes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!