Migrating 6.x Cluster to 7.x

Jun 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I read all of the relevant documentation and quite a few forum posts regarding upgrading from 6.x to 7.x. I know the recommended approach is generally to back up the VM, copy it to the new host/cluster, and restore, but I think I settled on a faster/better migration process (for my specific application/need) and wanted to get a sanity check from everyone on the Proxmox Forum.

Current production 6.x cluster has shared storage on a separate ZFS device (FreeNAS). VMs are stored on the ZFS device, Proxmox communicates over iSCSI.

I installed Proxmox 7.4 on two new/spare servers, created a new cluster on those servers, attached those to the same ZFS device via iSCSI.

Since both clusters are seeing the same VM disks on the same storage, I tested a migration by snapshotting an offline VM (just in case), copied the Conf file for this VM to a server on the new cluster (via the /etc/pve/qemu-server folder), the VM appeared and booted properly on the new cluster.

Everything seems awesome with this, and the outage/downtime is very quick for the VM. Shut it down, copy the conf file, boot it up.

Does anyone see a potential issue with this plan? I have manually replicated the entire configuration between the clusters to ensure things are the same, including firewall, etc. I wanted to ask here just as confirmation that I'm not missing anything.

Side note: I then rolled back the migration test by deleting the config file on the new cluster, then reverting to and deleting the storage snapshot.

Thoughts? Thanks!
-Todd

I read all of the relevant documentation and quite a few forum posts regarding upgrading from 6.x to 7.x. I know the recommended approach is generally to back up the VM, copy it to the new host/cluster, and restore, but I think I settled on a faster/better migration process (for my specific application/need) and wanted to get a sanity check from everyone on the Proxmox Forum.

You don't need to create a new cluster, you have have a cluster with proxmox6 and proxmox7 nodes.

simply upgrade 1 node to proxmox7
live migrate vm from proxmox6 node to proxmox7 node
upgrade second node to proxmox7
live migrate vm from proxmox6 to proxmox7
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#In-place_upgrade

(I have some old cluster migrated from proxmox4->5->6->7 , without any vm downtime)

Last edited:
Reactions: servada
You don't need to create a new cluster, you have have a cluster with proxmox6 and proxmox7 nodes.

simply upgrade 1 node to proxmox7
live migrate vm from proxmox6 node to proxmox7 node
upgrade second node to proxmox7
live migrate vm from proxmox6 to proxmox7
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#In-place_upgrade

(I have some old cluster migrated from proxmox4->5->6->7 , without any vm downtime)

Ahh, I was hesitant to do this based on some of the forum posts I found regarding mixing 6.x and 7.x versions within the same cluster. There were quite a few posts that seemed to recommend against mixing versions, or maybe more accurately did not necessarily endorse it. I also found this thread which is sort of "on the fence" about it: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/can-i-mix-promxox-6-and-proxmox-7-in-the-same-cluster.92214/

The documentation at the link provided doesn't provide much comfort surrounding the process to upgrade in a cluster. The one passage here mentions it, but still didn't give me much confidence:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Move_important_Virtual_Machines_and_Containers

I think I was looking for more clarity in the documentation that mixing 6.x and 7.x in the same cluster is "100% OK for the duration of the migration process" and upon digging through the forums, saw some people saying it works fine, and others that appeared hesitant. Quite a few forum posts seemed to prefer the backup and restore method.

Thanks for your input, I'll give the in-place method a try.

A bit of a delayed reaction, but for the record, we proceeded exactly like Spirit indicated, and it worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the help. We also moved quickly during the upgrade process to mitigate potential issues with mixing versions within the cluster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!