Migratiing from legacy openvz host to Proxmox

MH_MUC

May 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

we are using openvz containers for years now, but I'd like to switch to Proxmox for serveral reasons (e.g. cheaper than virtuozzo, webinterface, etc.)

I know that 2.6 kernel VMs are not supported anymore. So I would have to restore an openvz backup and migrate to LXC in one step? Is that possible?
I wouldn't want to install an outdated proxmox just to get openvz support.

Thanks for your help!

Dear oguz,

thank you for the reply.
I guess I didn't ask precisely.

The source host is not running any proxmox. Just plain openvz.

I read the wiki-entry you posted, but here is my question. Can I use pct restore to restore an openvz-backup that hasn't been created by a proxmox-host?

Thanks.

ah.. i see now.
you can try taking backups from your old host and restoring them in proxmox. but there's not guarantee it'll work.
it actually depends on the backup/container. i've seen a case where ploop was being used and it wasn't able to be restored in proxmox (since we didn't support ploop).

one workaround is to just:
* mount your openvz container
* create a tar archive out of it
* restore in proxmox

which should work most of the time.

If the backing store of the openvz is 'ploop' then no. If it's 'simfs' you could try - else - as @oguz said - mount it and create a tar-archive

Ok and what do I do with the tar-archive? Just create a new CT and overwrite the files?

Ok and what do I do with the tar-archive? Just create a new CT and overwrite the files?
You could try that..
create a fresh ct (as close to the one you're trying to restore - e.g. same distribution...)
`pct mount $CTID`
then replace all the content with the ones from the tarball
`pct umount $CTID`

and then try to start it.
If it does not work - check the debug logs as described in the reference documentation:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pct.html#_obtaining_debugging_logs

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!