[SOLVED] Migrate Windows VM from kvm to Proxmox (BSOD)

arnoproxmox

Nov 23, 2020
Hi,

Last week I wanted to move several VM's (Windows 2016) from kvm hosted by a Debian server to Proxmox.
Thought it would be a straightforward process but it wasn't successful.

Tried 'everything' like bios/ovmf setting in Proxmox, rebuild BCD in Windows and fresh Windows install and then replacing Windows partition with partition of VM to be migrated.

The to be migrated vm uses bios with mbr disks.
Copied the disk file (raw format) to Proxmox.
Configured and started Proxmox VM.

Windows boots but then shows a BSOD (inaccessable boot device) or missing file (winload.efi (file exists on Windows disk).
I can't fix that in Windows.

A fresh install of Windows install works.
Tip: Use a Windows install iso with sliptreamed virtio drivers. Without the drivers disks do not show in WinRE (Troubleshoot/Command prompt/diskpart option in Windows)

What are the steps to migrate my Windows VM's?

Many time ago I have the same issue but with win2k12, The solution was to prepare the windows machin with ide drivers. I not sure can resolve your problem to. And i use the clonezille migration metod.
- make sure that you have standard IDE drivers enabled, use the mergeide.reg (File:Mergeide.zip) ).

nach dem ich bei einigen Kunden erfolgreich von Hyper-V auf Proxmox migriert habe, kann ich folgenden Tipp geben:
VM mit gleichen Bios-Einstellungen wie unter Debian/KVM erstellen, ohne Festplatten. Festplatte der Debian/KVM-VM importieren mit "qm importdisk" und nach Import bearbeiten und mit SATA verbinden. MergeIDE sollte bei Server 2016 nicht nötig sein. Wenn VM hoch fährt, die VirtIO-Treiber aktualisieren.
Bisher keine Ausfälle oder Fehler. Wenn die VM dann sauber läuft kann man auf VirtIO SCSI umstellen.

My VM is running in Proxmox with SeaBIOS and SATA/MBR disks. Thanks.
Using VirtIO disks didn't work. Drivers (.msi and .exe installed, guest agent enabled in Proxmox).
Windows 2016 boots and then a BSOD.

Does sata/virtio make a difference? Any ideas how to use VirtIO disks?

check from libvirt vm if you running from legacy or efi boot, with msinfo32.exe for example.
then check storage controller and disks from Device Manager, because there is two virtio config : the regular scsi and the virtio Block

so keep bios no OVMF.
keep scsi + virtio scsi single controller.
if error inaccessible boot device 7b, try boot in safe mode.
if doesn't work, switch from scsi to sata then boot in safe mode because in safe mode sata is always active then reboot in normal boot.
error with files not found is more about wrong playing with boot files/partition.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!