Migrate Windows Server 2019 VM on ESXI 6.7 to Proxmox

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by Armando Ramos Roche, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Armando Ramos Roche

Armando Ramos Roche New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am trying to migrate the services that I currently have virtualized in ESXI 6.7 to proxmox. But it has been impossible for me.
    I have tried all the routes that appear in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE and I have managed to pass the hdd correctly towards proxmox.
    But when I turn on the vm in proxmox it doesn't boot me out of the hdd.
    Can somebody help me?

2. aaron

aaron Member

Did you set the BIOS type correctly? (BIOS / UEFI)
    How did you define the disk? SATA / SCSI-virtio / Virtio-block...?

Windows does not come with virtio drivers out of the box so at first you need to set the disk to SATA or IDE. Once it´s booted attach the virtio driver cd iso and create a small temporary disk with the mode you want. Windows will detect a device it does not know and will ask for the driver.
    Once the driver is installed you should be able to remove the temporary disk, change the type of the main disk, change the boot order in VMs options, and then shutdown and start the VM again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Armando Ramos Roche

Armando Ramos Roche New Member

Thanks for everything,
    It turns out that I had to put the UEFI bios. When I did it worked.
    But when I entered the server I was not in the domain and the name of the server had changed.

4. aaron

aaron Member

Are you sure you migrated the right server? The server name should not change just because of the migration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice