Migrate windows server 2003 vmware to proxmox

ocerda

Jan 2, 2018
Hello,

I have a windows 2003 server in vmware, and I wanted to convert it and import it into proxmox.

I used the vmaware converter to generate the vmdk disk.

Once I have the disk, I put it in proxmox and I create the proxmox machine.

I use the following command as you indicate on this website.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migrat...o_Proxmox_VE_.28KVM.29_using_VMware_Converter

qemu-img convert -f vmdk /mnt/usb/windows-server/windows-server.vmdk -O qcow2 /var/lib/vz/images/100/windows-server.qcow2

And it does not work for me, I've tried everything.

I have tried to use the disk in vmdk format, qcow2, raw, I have changed the controller from diso to IDE, SATA, SCSI, the type of network to all possible adapters.

In all the possible combinations the Windows server 2003 starts up and when it is going to load it, it shoots me blue screen and it restarts infinitely many times

STOP error 0x000007B and more errors, I need to migrate that windows server from vmware to proxmox, can you help me?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 62
Often done and your workflow was correct. But you missed some thinks:
  • All Networkinterface change to dhcp
  • all software special drivers (vmwaretools...) are to deinstall
  • Before start vmwareconverter execute Mergeide.reg
On the first Start IDE and rtl... is the right choice. Only virtio-win-0.1.113 is really working fine on 2003 Server.

I do not understand what you want to say, before running the vmwareconverter, do you want me to run Mergeide.reg and then convert my machine?
That file that does?

And as for virtio, you mean that I must download the virtio driver and install it?

I do not understand what you want to say, before running the vmwareconverter, do you want me to run Mergeide.reg and then convert my machine?
That file that does?

And as for virtio, you mean that I must download the virtio driver and install it?
Yes. Please search the documentation! The Regfile manipulate the that at the first start all the new hardware will be installed.

Ok, now use that reg file, and in advanced options I will remove what vmware, a question I have, is it necessary to install the virtio driver? Or can I put the disk to be IDE?

If it's better with virtio, can you tell me where to download the virtio driver for windows server 2003.

I am very grateful for your help.

Thank you very much for the iso of the virtio, between today tomorrow I will make the copy again and import it as you have told me.

I'll tell you if it went well.

Thank you.

Reactions: fireon
The windows 2003 server has already booted me, but it has no network, what drivers do I have to install? I have installed netKVM of the iso that you gave me, and it does not work, of the iso that folder is?

And if not, can you send me the network drivers, intel E1000 or Realtek RTL8139 for windows 2003 server?

I am very grateful for your help.

Hello again,

I have the same problem that I had previously, but this time what I try to migrate is a physical machine.

I pass the vmware convert, before that I import the regedit that you passed me, then I convert the machine to vmdk, but when I import it into proxmox, it gives the same blue screen as before.

To import physical machines is done in the same way, or is it another?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!