Migrate VMware-VM to Proxmox

proxspl

Oct 28, 2022
Hello all,
I would like to migrate the VMs from VMware Workstation to Proxmox. Currently a WIN10.
As a basis for the procedure I have taken generally known information source:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#VMware ( Virtual-to-Virtual (V2V)).
The first step is to export the VM into an ".ovf". In VMware Workstation -> File -> Export to OVF.
After some time, however, not only one ".ovf" is exported, but several files:

1676723579653.png
In the next step, all exported files are transferred to the Proxmox server - according to the description above.
The VM can also start successfully. Unfortunately when starting it always comes the:

"WARN: no efidisk configured! Using temporary efivars disk. TASK WARNINGS: 1".

Maybe there is a solution to this. Thank you!

I do it the old-school way and copy over the vmdk (metadata) and vmdk-flat (data) files and use "qemu-img convert" on the new host to convert them to raw format.

I did this when I migrated from ESXi to Proxmox.

Plenty of videos and blogs on how to do this.

use "qemu-img convert" on the new host to convert them to raw format.
Take a look at the qm disk import command (man page). This way you can point it to the source image and specify the target VM and storage. Converting the disk image to the correct format is done on the fly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!