Migrate VM between nodes from "local" disk

Ivan Gersi

May 29, 2016
Proxmox allow migrate VM between nodes only from local disk, not from another.
I have a situation.. 1 node with 2 disks arrays, one is classic lvm and 2nd is mounted to dir.
How can I migrate vm from 2nd array smartly? Because I have to move disk of VM to lvm and then I `m able to make online or offline migration.
I`d like to use "best practice" and don`t try to discover wheeel again.

Hi,

You can do this on CLI as the below command:

Bash:
qm migrate <VMID> <Target-Node> --targetstorage <TargetStorage> --with-local-disks --online

I can`t do this because target machine doesn`t known non local disk. This is "the bug" if target machine doesn`t see 2nd disk in source machine.
root@pve4:/etc# qm migrate 100 pve6 --online --migration_network 10.10.10.0/24 --targetstorage local --with-local-disks
2023-03-05 17:50:31 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:00): storage 'SSD_old' is not available on node 'pve6'
migration aborted

Last edited:
Are you saying that you want to move from 2nd array to 1s array on same node as you want to take advantage of LVM?
If that is the case then under "Disk Action", you can move storage of VM to another array.

No I wanted to migrate from one node to another (pve4 to pve6). I had to migrate vm from SSD_old to local on pve4 firstly and then I was able to migrate to pve6.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!