Migrate Single Disk to Mirror

sgtpepperaut

Aug 30, 2020
I currently have a single SSD where PROXMOX and some VMs reside. All Data and VMS are backuped up. To decrease chance of downtime i would like to migrate from a single SSD disk to a mirror. Is this possible or is a new install and restore required? I might as well take my chances if i have to reinstall and reconfigure anyways.

I am also setting up a 2 Machine Cluster. If 1 machines OS disc goes down and i reinstall a fresh Proxmox can PM get its config back from the other Machine in the cluster?

I currently have a single SSD where PROXMOX and some VMs reside. All Data and VMS are backuped up. To decrease chance of downtime i would like to migrate from a single SSD disk to a mirror. Is this possible or is a new install and restore required? I might as well take my chances if i have to reinstall and reconfigure anyways.

Depends heavily on the used storage technique. With ZFS and hardware raid, it should be very easy without downtime (assuming hot-plug), everything else needs a reinstall.

I am also setting up a 2 Machine Cluster. If 1 machines OS disc goes down and i reinstall a fresh Proxmox can PM get its config back from the other Machine in the cluster?

First, don't have a single point of failure (SPOF) in a disk. Use at least RAID1 everywhere. Second, backup your system and restore it in case of a disk problem, don't reinstall.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!