Migrate/restart iSCSI VM on secondary node when primary is down

beuc

Mar 29, 2012
Hi,

I have 2 Proxmox nodes running VMs stored on iSCSI. It works well :D
Though, when one of the node is down (e.g. hardware failure), I'd like to restart the VMs on the other node.

When I try to migrate from the offline node, even if the VM was already shutdown, the system still tries to connect to the failed node, and I can't find a way to restart the VM on the other node.
Ideally a VM could be migrated offline from a node even if the node is unreachable.

Is there a way to do it?

Is there a way to do it?

If the VM is on shared storage, and you are sure that the second node is not running, you can simply move the config file:

First, make sure the seconf node is offline!
Then set expected votes to get quorum

# pvecm expected 1

Then move the config file

# mv /etc/pve/nodes/<node1>/qemu-server/<vmid>.conf /etc/pve/nodes/<node2>/qemu-server/

Thanks, that works fine!
The HA Cluster looks quite interesting, we'll probably use it when/if we scale from 2 to 4 nodes. Is it possible to "upgrade" a normal Proxmox cluster to a HA Cluster later on?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!