Migrate Proxmox Email Gateway Config and License to New System

teward

Feb 12, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Proxmox Email Gateway in the Cloud, but I want to transfer the entire license and configuration to a new system.

The Cloud system is a VPS, so I don't have an image, would I need to rsync system to system to get the data over that I need? Alternatively, is there a "full backup" option?

More importantly, is there anything I need to do to transfer the *license* over to the new machine, rather than buy a second license?

More importantly, is there anything I need to do to transfer the *license* over to the new machine, rather than buy a second license?
The subscription key is bound to the machine you've installed it on - you can reset it for installing in a new machine over at our shop:
see https://shop.maurer-it.com/index.ph...rrent-subscription-key-to-the-new-server.html

The Cloud system is a VPS, so I don't have an image, would I need to rsync system to system to get the data over that I need? Alternatively, is there a "full backup" option?
hmm - you can backup all your settings and rules with the Backup in the GUI->Configuration->Backup/Restore - that is usually enough
It does not restore the IP/network settings - but I expect these do change with your new provider as well

If you need to sync also the contents of your quarantine - then rsync would maybe be a better option

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Stoiko, that all answers the questions.

Tricky part about the RSync is that this is going from 5.x to 6.x, and from my own experience in Debian and Ubuntu, the upgrade between distros breaks *everything* if you aren't careful, and because of that migration an rsync is not an option, so spinning a 'fresh' box up of 6.x, then working on getting the license migrated over last.

For now, however, I have been able to retrieve many of the configuration files from my 5.x environment, and applied changes in the 6.0 environment already. Hopefully, everything works without any major issues, we'll see, though, I don't foresee moving the license will be hard, but I foresee some configuration headaches in the short term, heh.

In that case you could try creating a backup and restoring it - this is one of the supported upgrade methods - see https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0

I hope this helps!

Yep, the "Backup and Restore" bit is what I'm already doing, I was able to restore most of my configurations, there's a few things I did custom as part of improvement / customization per this tutorial thread about enhancing spam and virus detection which has a few external dependencies but those have been applied in the new 6.0 environment.

Since most of my configs have been applied in the 6.0 environment, I"m going to be doing some testing to make sure it *works* and then assuming nothing horrendously egregious happens with that 6.0 install I'll reissue the license for the 6.0 install and decommission the 5.x install I have which I'm moving.

Still wish Outgoing DKIM was a thing configurable in the UI, though, but eh.

Still wish Outgoing DKIM was a thing configurable in the UI, though, but eh.
that's already available in the pmg-no-subscription repo (and will soon hit the pmg-enterprise repo) :)

Since most of my configs have been applied in the 6.0 environment, I"m going to be doing some testing to make sure it *works* and then assuming nothing horrendously egregious happens with that 6.0 install I'll reissue the license for the 6.0 install and decommission the 5.x install I have which I'm moving.
sounds good!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!