Migrate OpenVZ containers from an existing Proxmox install to a clean install

azop

Feb 6, 2012
I'm moving between datacenters, and I need to copy my containers to a (clean) install of Proxmox. Once I move everything from the existing server to the new server, I'm going to take that server offline.

How should I do this? I thought vzmigrate would do what I wanted, but after running it the new container doesn't pop up in the Proxmox web interface.

I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything useful. I thought about online cluster migration, but I'm concerned that I might break something, plus I will only have one server running after I remove the original server after I move the containers.

I'm moving between datacenters, and I need to copy my containers to a (clean) install of Proxmox. Once I move everything from the existing server to the new server, I'm going to take that server offline.

How should I do this? I thought vzmigrate would do what I wanted, but after running it the new container doesn't pop up in the Proxmox web interface.

I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything useful. I thought about online cluster migration, but I'm concerned that I might break something, plus I will only have one server running after I remove the original server after I move the containers.
Hi,
backup and restore is the normal way (ok, with downtime).

Udo

I have just finished a migration. 30 or do boxes using vz migrate.

Worked perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just finished a migration. 30 or do boxes using vz migrate.

Worked perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the procedure? I try with one ct, v2 to v2 and also v1.9 to v2 ? But doens't match anywhere?!

I have had a range of proxmox 1 series. 1.7 - 1.9.

All you do is install the SSH keys on the node so you can logon with no password.

Then...

1 by 1.

vzmigrate --keep-dst --remove-area no -v <proxmox2 ip> <ct id>

Do not try do an online migration. This will not work.

Rob

Sorry to necro this year old thread.

I've got an old 1.x cluster running, and a new 2.x cluster also running (Two separate clusters) . Can I just vzmigrate the openvz containers from the old cluster to the new one, just specifying the new server's IP from the old one? If that's all I have to do, this migration is going to be easy.

Also, I do have a couple KVMs, would I migrate them the same way, or do I need to figure something else out?

Thanks.

Elshar

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!