migrate between epyc and xeon

immo

Renowned Member
Nov 20, 2014
Hi folks have anybody operating experience with a mix of epyc and xeon host and vm migration ?
I know thats should be an issue if your not focus on specific cpu features but the vm processor type kvm64 should prevent such special features. Dont it ?
Or do I have the problems cos of the switch "kvm hardware vitualization" ?

I definitely looking for someone who really did this migration successful on such hosts.

Reason: the higher clocking which offers better response times on AMD than on Intel. But Intel is still in the cluster with several hosts.
And: If a vm is running I can not interrupt the processing to reboot on a different host, 'cos its a in memory simulation.

Hi,
Hi folks have anybody operating experience with a mix of epyc and xeon host and vm migration ?
AFAIK live migration is not possible, because of the meltdown, spectre mediation security patches.
Offline migration is possible but if the OS is MS Windows I guess you might get problems.

We talking about linux OS. Offline has to be tested.
But I'm somehow fixed to Intel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!