Migrate a virtual disk with a datastore from one PBS to another

Nozalu

Nov 29, 2022
Hello,

I have a PBS virtualize in a PVE. And I create a new PBS in this PVE. The datastore is saved in a different virtual disk than the system files. I want to know if it's possible to migrate this virtual disk in the new PBS and which config file to get. And want to know if it's possible to recover the datastore.

I have already used the "reassign owner" option in PVE for migrating the virtual disk and i recover the datastore.cfg file in the new PBS but it didn't work. So, it's why i need your help.

Thank,

Hello @Nozalu
If I understand correctly. You have PBS001 setup in your PVE and you have setup a PBS002 on the same PVE. On PBS001 the datastore is on a separate virtual disk. Correct? Can you attach that virtual disk to PBS002?
I think the disk can be detached from PBS001 and then renamed. I did it on a zfs system I did zfs rename the old disk to the new disk.
It night just be a qm rescan after and then the need to attach the renamed virtual disk inside the PBS002
I hope that makes some sense.
this might help
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Moving_disk_image_from_one_KVM_machine_to_another

Hello,

I have a PBS virtualize in a PVE. And I create a new PBS in this PVE. The datastore is saved in a different virtual disk than the system files. I want to know if it's possible to migrate this virtual disk in the new PBS and which config file to get. And want to know if it's possible to recover the datastore.

I have already used the "reassign owner" option in PVE for migrating the virtual disk and i recover the datastore.cfg file in the new PBS but it didn't work. So, it's why i need your help.

Thank,
Did you ever figure this out? I am doing something similar for testing to see if PBS is something I really want to start using. It seems to me the system should have an obvious way to import a disk after a PBS server dies but not it's datastore. It seems like a basic functionality that any decent backup solution would have but yet it's like its either buried deep in the CLI or not even existing at all. Makes me wonder if it's worth the time investment to press forward.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!