Midnight commander (mc) not working

mvrhov

Jan 29, 2011
Hi,

I've updated (well created a new one and restored container from backup) one machine to 5.2 from 4.4 and it seems that with new lxc the mc is not working properly.

Steps to reproduce:
Install ubuntu 16.04 as a container
apt-get mc

now connect to the host proxmox machine with putty
and use pct enter to enter a container created above.
run mc, and go to one file and use F3/F4 key to open/edit a text file.. then nothing happens.
If you look at the /var/log/syslog then you can see the following

Sep 26 11:07:46 weather mc: *** err
Sep 26 11:07:46 weather mc: unable to open gpm console, check your /dev filesystem!
Sep 26 11:07:46 weather mc: *** err
Sep 26 11:07:46 weather mc: Oh, oh, it's an error! possibly I die!

If you use the template provided by proxmox, then the log file might be empty

Reactions: guletz
Hi,

That's a false flag, and the issue has nothing to do with container...

Try with doing an
Code:
export TERM=xterm

before opening mc. additionally you may want to do:
Code:
export EDITOR=vim    # or whatever

You may want to add those lines to ~/.bashrc (or whatever shell you're using)

It's just easily exposed in the CT as pct enter has a really minimal environment setup.
Using ssh to go directly to the CT or ensuring that the needed environment is setup should help you out.

This did help however I'm finding this to be a regression since this worked just fine with proxmox 4.4 and LXC 2.0

Also this is annoying especially if you connect directly to the proxmox and then each of the hosts individually to do some maintenance.

Because I wanted to find a solution, to copy ISO files to my Proxmox server, I came across this thread.

So I got MC (midnight commander) working on my newly installed proxmox-ve_8.0-2.

apt-get update
apt-get install mc
mc. (will start midnight commander)

Go back one dir
go in the Media dir
Mkdir USB
exit mc
find the name of you usb drive mine is sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/USB (change sbd1 to you usbdevise name)

Start mc again
Now you USB dir shout be full of the files on you usbdisk
Media/USB

All you ISO's are in
/var/lib/vz/template/iso

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!