Metric Server data documentation

Undergrid

Jul 15, 2018
Is there documentation about what the metrics stored by the metrics server mean and the units they are in? Things like diskread, diskwrite, netin and netout etc

Last edited:
no it's sadly not really documented, but most of them should be in the most basic unit available, e.g. bytes or bytes/s
is there anything particular that is unclear?

no it's sadly not really documented, but most of them should be in the most basic unit available, e.g. bytes or bytes/s
is there anything particular that is unclear?

After a whole bunch of testing, I'm pretty sure that the receive and trasmit values in the nics measurement set are recorded in bits/s,
otherwise I'm able to do 10Gb/s speed over a 1Gb/s network interface.

The diskread and diskwrite I'm not so sure of. Even in bits/s it seems to be over reporting speeds. A dd reporting 330MB/s on a LXC reports speeds of 4Gb/s or 500MB/s but I guess there could be some buffering going on there. If it's Bytes/s, it's reporting speeds faster than the physical hardware can actually perform.

Regarding diskread and diskwrite, the Summary tab in web front shows Mb/s, but the metric I receive from metrics server (influxdb) are in e+12. even if I do calculations I am ending up with Tb/s. Looks like these values are aggregated? (running proxmox 7.4-3)

yes, these data points are aggregated, so in your monitoring/graphing you must transform the data (e.g. using 'positive derivative' IIRC ) to get a 'per seconds' graph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!