methods to quickly and reliably migrate guests between clusters

Dale.Sykora

May 13, 2020
What are some reliable methods to migrate a guest between clusters with minimal downtime? I have successfully backed up guest on cluster1, scp file to cluster2 host and restored, but this takes minutes, and I would rather take seconds similar to a live migration between hosts in same cluster. I have seen proxmove in searches, but haven't tried it yet. I was also thinking of rsyncing guest files to cluster2 while guest is running, then power off guest and rsync again, and then power up guest on cluster2. Would that work? If anyone has used proxmove, rsync, or other means to quickly migrate guest to other clusters, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Thanks wolfgang! I don't use ZFS currently. Currently use NFS shared storage on a SAN. I could try setting up and testing ZFS, but would rather not go to that trouble. I have an old PVE 5.4 cluster, and a new PVE 6.2 cluster, and would like to move 10 guests from old cluster to new with minimal downtime for guest users.

What if I did the following... Would that work?
1)setup a NFS share for cluster1
2)moved guest disk to it while guest online
3)powered off guest
4)removed NFS share from cluster1
5)added NFS share to cluster2
6)started guest on cluster2

I was able to quickly (under a minute) and successfully migrate the guest between clusters by changing shared storage as follows.
guest=109, old cluster/host=c1/n1, new cluster/host=pc1/p1, and nfs storage shared to one cluster at a time named nfs0
1)make sure nfs0 is not shared to cluster pc1, and share nfs0 to cluster c1
2)while guest is running, move guest disk to nfs0 storage
3)while guest is running, backup guest 109 to non nfs0 storage on cluster c1 host n1 and scp backup to host p1
4)restore 109 backup on p1 to any available storage, but do not start
5)scp guest config file /etc/pve/qemu-server/109.conf file from host n1 to same location on host p1
6)shutdown guest on host n1
7)remove nfs0 storage from cluster c1
8)add nfs0 storage to cluster pc1
9)start guest 109 on host p1
10)move guest disk to another storage location on host p1
11)remove storage nfs0 from cluster pc1

steps 3 and 4 might not be necessary, but not sure

steps 3 and 4 might not be necessary, but not sure
This is not required.
The config that is needed did you copy in step 5.
And die VMData are copied in step 2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!