[TUTORIAL] Metasploitable2

coyo

Apr 21, 2023
Hi all,
I've been toying getting Metasploitable to run on Proxmox.
The below steps result in a working VM. I installed some packages on the proxmox server (unzip), if that is not desired, perform image manipulation on another host.

Code:
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/metasploitable/files/Metasploitable2/metasploitable-linux-2.0.0.zip

unzip metasploitable-linux-2.0.0.zip

cd Metasploitable2-Linux/

qemu-img convert -O qcow2 Metasploitable.vmdk metasploitable.qcow2

qm create 300 --memory 2048 --cores 2 --name Metasploitable2 --net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0 --boot c --bootdisk ide0

qm importdisk 300 metasploitable.qcow2 local-lvm

qm set 300 --ide0 local-lvm:vm-300-disk-0

Done!
Bootup and enjoy.

Reactions: petru and LeCaNo
Hi! Thanks a lot for this. It worked.
One tip as well for others is when you importdisk (penultimate step) there is a lot of text, then it prints the import location.

1682950127259.png

Remember to use this location in the final step.

I didn't realise at first and kept putting in wrong location

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've been toying getting Metasploitable to run on Proxmox.
The below steps result in a working VM. I installed some packages on the proxmox server (unzip), if that is not desired, perform image manipulation on another host.

Code:
wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/metasploitable/files/Metasploitable2/metasploitable-linux-2.0.0.zip

unzip metasploitable-linux-2.0.0.zip

cd Metasploitable2-Linux/

qemu-img convert -O qcow2 Metasploitable.vmdk metasploitable.qcow2

qm create 300 --memory 2048 --cores 2 --name Metasploitable2 --net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0 --boot c --bootdisk ide0

qm importdisk 300 metasploitable.qcow2 local-lvm

qm set 300 --ide0 local-lvm:vm-300-disk-0

Done!
Bootup and enjoy.
Thank you, coyo! It worked. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!