Memory reading on windows VM

noak

Dec 20, 2017
My windows10 VM shows a total memory used of about 7GB out of 8 on the proxmox GUI.

But when I check the windows vm task manager it shows 2-3GB used out of 8.

Does anyone know why there might be a discrepancy?

VM Specs:
Memory 8GiB
Processors: 2 (1 socket, 2 cores)
Hard Disk (ide0) - local-lvm:vm-103-disk-1,size=100G
Network Device (net0) virtio

Host Specs:
32 GB RAM
Latest proxmox software updated and rebooted
1TB HDD (WD Black)
CPU(s): 8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz (1 Socket)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.13.16-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.13.16-47 (Mon, 9 Apr 2018 09:58:12 +0200)
PVE Manager Version: pve-manager/5.1-51/96be5354

The total VMs I am running on this host are 4 windows VMs (1 win7, 3 win10). All 4 appear to be reporting similar memory readings in their individual graphs on the GUI.

I may have done this (at least for the network drivers) but I'll double check the memory drivers now.

Should I check the box for Ballooning when allocating memory to the VM?

I may have done this (at least for the network drivers) but I'll double check the memory drivers now.
You must install the service too, in the Virtion Balloon folder you should run blnsrv -i , it's better to move the balloon folder in a folder on the guest hard disk (if you use it from virtual CD / ISO)

IShould I check the box for Ballooning when allocating memory to the VM?
Yes

Reactions: noak
Thanks for the help so far.

When I browse to Device Manager > system devices I do not see a RAM device installed. So I cant find which device I need to update the driver for.

I also tried running devcon and manually installing the driver (per README) but getting an error. And the device shows up as "unknown".

I was able to get the balloon service running but I fear without the driver showing up in the device manager its not really there.... any thoughts?

upload_2018-4-24_11-59-37.png

EDIT: Stupid mistake. I did not enable Ballooning on the proxmox GUI. Once I did that and restarted the guest now the VirtIO Balloon Driver shows up in device manager.

Last edited:
Have you enabled balloning device in the VM config? If you have it disabled, you must shutdown the VM (if it's windows 8 or 10 use shutdown -s -t 0), enable ballooning device in the config and then restart the VM, so you should find the device in the device manager
The device is called VirtIO Balloon Driver after the driver is installed:
6fhnQ3C.png

Reactions: noak and dailyxe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!