Memory management: ceph

lifeboy

Renowned Member
you need to reduce osd_memory_target.

1GB by osd disk is really the minimum (for hdd it could be ok). But for ssd, you really need something like 3-4GB memory for each osd disk.
Thanks!

It seems that luminous doesn't have all the commands to manage this yet. I'm searching the docs now...

I'm systematically upgrading this cluster to the latest version, but I need to understand how to limit the memory usage in the process. Since is just a test and dev cluster, so performance and fast disk speeds are not that important.

Please consider that Ceph needs somewhere around:
  • 1-2GB/monitor
  • 1-2GB/manager
  • 3-4GB/OSD
This may also increase per TB by default... You should not be using CEPH with 8GB per machine, this is an enterprise software, I would strongly recommend against <48GB.

Tmanok

Please consider that Ceph needs somewhere around:
  • 1-2GB/monitor
  • 1-2GB/manager
  • 3-4GB/OSD
This may also increase per TB by default... You should not be using CEPH with 8GB per machine, this is an enterprise software, I would strongly recommend against <48GB.

Tmanok
The beauty of using free/libre software is that one can use it for what one wants. We have a cluster of older repurposed machines that are used as a development and testing environment, be backup to these and it does a great job of it. Surprisingly, the response times are not bad at all.

In the production environment all the nodes have at least 128GB of RAM and newer ones are spec'ed at 512GB.

The beauty of using free/libre software is that one can use it for what one wants. We have a cluster of older repurposed machines that are used as a development and testing environment, be backup to these and it does a great job of it. Surprisingly, the response times are not bad at all.

In the production environment all the nodes have at least 128GB of RAM and newer ones are spec'ed at 512GB.
Lifeboy, licensing and freedom still clash with reality- those who do not follow requirements will not receive community or professional support.

Anyone can do what they want, but their systems are likely to be unstable, insecure, or poorly performant if they do not meet a product's requirements. Thus they are not supportable- even by the person choosing "freedom" over reality.

Your prod deployment sounds very good btw.

Tmanok

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!