Melanox network card not getting detected during the installation

Charles Osman

Apr 4, 2017
Hi,

Because of this postfix and other services fail to start and that cause the installation to failed at 100%.
The alternative would be installing proxmox on top of Debain.
Could it be possible to interrupt the install process and load the needed modules?

Thank you,
Charlie

Hi,

No you have to go the way over Debian.
Or may be you have a onbord nic what you can attach to the network during the installation.

strange, I don't have problem with my mellanox connectx-3 && connectx-4.

connectx-4 use mlx5 driver, and they are include in kernel 4.4. (so it works fine with proxmox 4 && 5)

do you have connectx-5 ?

No Problems @ our side, not in 4.4 nor in 5.x beta or in 5.x final !

We also have Mellanox connect-x3 56GbitE in place.
only strange thing was Multicast, but these problems disappeared after upgrading Mellanox firmware.

download apt-get install mstflint and follow Mellanox documentation for firmware update.

my cards show now:
Code:
mstflint -d 81:00.0 q
Image type:          FS2
FW Version:          2.40.7000
FW Release Date:     22.3.2017
Product Version:     02.40.70.00
Rom Info:            type=PXE version=3.4.746 devid=4103
Device ID:           4103
Description:         Node             Port1            Port2            Sys image
GUIDs:               ffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffff
MACs:                                     248a07e26070     248a07e26071
VSD:
PSID:                MT_1090111023

Hi,

Thank you.
@wolfgang I don't have physical access to the server and can not connect the onboard nic.
I see the card during a fresh Debian install. But I don't see it during proxmox install. On other servers that have onboard nic connected, once proxmox is installed then I see the melanox card.
So my point is I don't see and can't choose the melanox which is the only connected card during the proxmox installation using the proxmox iso.

Thank you
Charlie

No Problems @ our side, not in 4.4 nor in 5.x beta or in 5.x final !

We also have Mellanox connect-x3 56GbitE in place.
only strange thing was Multicast, but these problems disappeared after upgrading Mellanox firmware.

download apt-get install mstflint and follow Mellanox documentation for firmware update.

my cards show now:
Code:
mstflint -d 81:00.0 q
Image type:          FS2
FW Version:          2.40.7000
FW Release Date:     22.3.2017
Product Version:     02.40.70.00
Rom Info:            type=PXE version=3.4.746 devid=4103
Device ID:           4103
Description:         Node             Port1            Port2            Sys image
GUIDs:               ffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffff
MACs:                                     248a07e26070     248a07e26071
VSD:
PSID:                MT_1090111023
Are you installing using the Mellanox interface or a standard NIC?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!