May have broken my installation !

leenux_tux

Mar 21, 2013
England
Hello forum,

I have been having some issues getting my system to boot. Since it was installed a few weeks ago I have been having to manually mount rpool at boot time. I would get a message stating "Manually import the pool at the command prompt and exit" (screen dump attached).

Manuall_Mount_Pool.jpg

I wasn't too bothered about this as this is a test system. I am learning/testing Proxmox and was not planning on rebooting too often anyway, however, I stupidly decided to try and fix it hoping an update might fix the issue. Part of the update came up with messages about changes to the boot settings (GRUB) and I chose to keep the existing settings. Now trying to mount the pool manually just doesn't work. Doh !

I can reinstall, its not a problem as the VM's are stored on a FreeNAS SAN, however, I would like to understand what has happened so I don't make the same mistake again. Here is a screen shot of the error messages.

ZFS_MOUNT_FAIL.jpg

If anyone can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

FIXED !!!!

A little more information on this...

From the command line (via IPMI) I can see the pool. If I do a zpool list and the pool is there, however, I get a "zpool: Symbol 'spa_feature_table' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking" message. I am reasonably OK with ZFS as I use it on FreeNAS. I have tried doing a zfs list and the file systems are there. I then just did "zfs mount" and it all went OK !!!!

Still doesn't explain why the pool is not being mounted at boot time. But that is a separate issue

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!