Maximum VM Disk Size for Ceph RBD

chrone

Apr 15, 2015
planet earth
Hi Proxmoxers,

I could not find the docs regarding maximum single RBD size for KVM.

Could you please shed a light on the maximum size of a single Ceph RBD disk which Proxmox could handle?

Is it safe to allocate a single disk in Ceph RBD with size like 100TB or more for storing backup files?

Reactions: chrone
AFIAK, there is no limit imposed on rbd images or what qemu can handle. But there are other limitations that need consideration, see the link. https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/33561

For your backup purpose, you could use cephfs, it is also integrated into Proxmox VE.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_cephfs

I see thanks for the links.

The concern with CephFS is its direct and/or synchronous write throughputs are terribly slow compared with RBD on all HDD OSDs. Also, CephFS quota on kernel client only works on kernel 4.17 or above, and only on Mimic Ceph cluster or above.

The concern with CephFS is its direct and/or synchronous write throughputs are terribly slow compared with RBD on all HDD OSDs. Also, CephFS quota on kernel client only works on kernel 4.17 or above, and only on Mimic Ceph cluster or above.
I have seen this for small writes, yes. But for big files (eg. vzdump backups) the speed is up there with RBD. Another possibility is to save the backup locally first and then transfer to cephfs, this can be done with the backup hooks. You can also use the fuse client (has quota support) for cephfs, the storage plugin can handle both variants.

Reactions: chrone
I have seen this for small writes, yes. But for big files (eg. vzdump backups) the speed is up there with RBD. Another possibility is to save the backup locally first and then transfer to cephfs, this can be done with the backup hooks. You can also use the fuse client (has quota support) for cephfs, the storage plugin can handle both variants.

Awesome! Thanks, Alwin!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!