Maximum number of Serial Port available for a VM

Feb 21, 2019
Hello.
Please correct me If I am wrong, but is it only possible to add 4 serial ports to a VM? (0-3)

If so, Is there a reason why only 4 serial ports can be added to a VM and more importantly, Is there a way to increase the number of the available serial ports?

Thanks!

Hi

you can add extra ports with args: in your config.
args: is raw qemu commands.
see
Code:
man qemu 
qm help set

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry, just a newbie in Proxmox, can you be specific?
Example I will be needing to have nine (9) /dev/ttyUSB* pass through to a VM, Is it possible?

Are you referring to:
serial[n]: (/dev/.+|socket)
Create a serial device inside the VM (n is 0 to 3), and pass through a host serial device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0)

I have tried this command and can only set up to 4 serial pass through.

Thanks!

Hi LnxBil,

No, I have not tried that. I am actually migrating a Linux SMS gateway system to Proxmox VM, wherein the USB serial devices have persistent names (symlink) using udev rules. The udev rules are configured in the Proxmox server and the symlinked device names are the ones passed through the VMS - it's actually working pretty good except I have nine GSM modems to work with.

Hi

you can add extra ports with args: in your config.
args: is raw qemu commands.
see
Code:
man qemu
qm help set

Hello - I am trying to do this with virtualized serial ports. So far, I haven't been able to see an output from args. Here's what I put in the config. Any help is appreciated. I need to get up to 15 virtual serial ports. I haven't been able to find much on the args format.

args: -serial tcp:localhost:6001,server,nowaitargs: -serial tcp:localhost:6002,server,nowait

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!