[SOLVED] Maximum number of logical volumes (12) reached in volume group pve

NGNear

Jun 29, 2019
Hi all,

I am very new to the Proxmox scene (and Hypervisation in general), and I find it quite easy to figure out how to do stuff most of the time by following the Proxmox forum and general KVM tutorials.

2 days ago, I finally decided to wipe my XCP-NG powered laptop and load it with Proxmox. It was a clean install, so it was quite easy to add it to my cluster.

But I quickly run into the error message described in the title as I try to take snapshots or create VM:
Code:
TASK ERROR: lvcreate 'pve/vm-104-state-fight' error:   Maximum number of logical volumes (12) reached in volume group pve
Code:
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 106 - lvcreate 'pve/vm-106-disk-0' error:   Maximum number of logical volumes (12) reached in volume group pve

As the error message indicated, I have 12 logical volumes, like below:
Bash:
root@laptop:~# lvs
  LV                                           VG  Attr       LSize    Pool Origin        Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data                                         pve twi-aotz-- <467.14g                    21.27  1.41                       
  root                                         pve -wi-ao----   96.00g                                                       
  snap_vm-104-disk-1_TimeMachineAndNetworkDisk pve Vri---tz-k   32.00g data vm-104-disk-1                                   
  swap                                         pve -wi-ao----    7.00g                                                       
  vm-102-disk-0                                pve Vwi-aotz--   52.00m data               100.00                             
  vm-102-disk-1                                pve Vwi-aotz--   32.00g data               100.00                             
  vm-102-disk-2                                pve Vwi-aotz--   32.00g data               100.00                             
  vm-103-disk-0                                pve Vwi-a-tz--   32.00g data               1.93                               
  vm-104-disk-0                                pve Vwi-a-tz--   32.00g data               2.91                               
  vm-104-disk-1                                pve Vwi-aotz--   32.00g data               100.00                             
  vm-104-state-TimeMachineAndNetworkDisk       pve Vwi-a-tz--   <4.49g data               12.96                             
  vm-105-disk-0                                pve Vwi-aotz--   32.00g data               3.10

What I don't understand is why wouldn't it allow me to add logical volume beyond 12, I do not have such a problem in my desktop.

My setup:
DesktopLaptop
Cluster groupmyClustermyCluster
Node namepvelaptop
EditionCommunityCommunity
Logical volumeDefault (one local, one local-lvm)Default (one local, one local-lvm)
Volume groupSingle volume group called "pve"Single volume group called "pve"
Physical VolumeTwo, the second volume /dev/sdb1 is in logical volume "pve" lumped in local-lvmOne, just the built-in drive of the laptop

Is the info provided enough? Could someone give me a hint on what is causing this?

Last edited:
Code:
TASK ERROR: lvcreate 'pve/vm-104-state-fight' error:   Maximum number of logical volumes (12) reached in volume group pve
Code:
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 106 - lvcreate 'pve/vm-106-disk-0' error:   Maximum number of logical volumes (12) reached in volume group pve

Check max LV settings via
Code:
vgdisplay

Reactions: NGNear
Check max LV settings via
Code:
vgdisplay
Thanks Richard!
I checked with this command, and my lvmax is indeed 12. What is the reason behind this seemingly random limit? My desktop node has an lvmax of 0 and does not limit how many lv I can create.
For anyone who is experiencing similar things; I find the following command after Richard pointed me the the right direction:
Bash:
vgchange -l 0 voluegroupname
Regards,
Bruce

I checked with this command, and my lvmax is indeed 12. What is the reason behind this seemingly random limit? My desktop node has an lvmax of 0 and does not limit how many lv I can create.

It must had happened by mistake - Proxmox does not set any limit at all (i.e. always 0).

Reactions: NGNear

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!