[SOLVED] Maximum 10 Network Interfaces

shadowq

Mar 12, 2013
Hello,

I have finally made the plunge into Proxmox 4 after being with prior versions for the past 4-5 years. One of the CTs I had under Proxmox 3.x had 15+ IPs assigned to it (DirectAdmin + many SSLs). However, with LXC each IP needs to be assigned with a virtual network interface. My problem lies with the (assumably GUI) limit of 10 virtual interfaces.

How do I get around this limit?

Thanks in advance,
Jarrod.

Thanks for the reply Dietmar. I've read through that wiki article several times in my research, but I'm unfortunately still unclear of how I'd start with a custom network config. I had tried setting up the interfaces from the guest, but to no avail. Could you please help me a little further? What would I need to do to simply assign IP addresses to the guest and allow the guest to setup the network?

I would assume utilise ".pve-ignore." for the interfaces in the guest and manage internally, but still unsure how to assign the IP addresses from the host, as there is no GUI option now.

By custom configuration he meant configure them within the container (ie. in debian manually edit the /etc/network/interfaces file from within, after telling PVE to not modify it by creating an empty /etc/network/.pve-ignore.interfaces file). As for the corresponding firewall settings, see the section about the standard IP set ipfilter-net*[1] on how to allow a firewalled container to use a specific set of IP addresses - if that's what you mean by "assigning" addresses.

[1] http://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pve-firewall.html#ipfilter-section

+1, I need to some times have 12 vlan interfaces on my containers and the way i do it now, i trunk on the Hypervisor and so I can only trunk 10 in total per container

This is a problem for me as well, i have more than 10 vlans that need to be handled by one container.

I don't see the problem?
Just connect your vlan-aware vmbr to your VM/Container and let that handle the vlans.
I use an OPNsense-Firewall with only 2 vmbr, 1 for sync/heartbeat and the other is vlan-aware with 30 vlan interfaces.

Just don't make the mistake to think you need an actual vmbr for every vlan on your hypervisor.

I don't see the problem?
Just connect your vlan-aware vmbr to your VM/Container and let that handle the vlans.
I use an OPNsense-Firewall with only 2 vmbr, 1 for sync/heartbeat and the other is vlan-aware with 30 vlan interfaces.

Just don't make the mistake to think you need an actual vmbr for every vlan on your hypervisor.
The configuration requires it for $reasons.

I don't see the problem?

There is a difference from a security perspective. You are giving each container on that interface access to all the vlans . I agree that your solution works but the limit of interfaces seems arbitrary and trivial to fix (if ur reading this support staff, I’m a paying user - 50 machines)

There is a difference from a security perspective. You are giving each container on that interface access to all the vlans . I agree that your solution works but the limit of interfaces seems arbitrary and trivial to fix (if ur reading this support staff, I’m a paying user - 50 machines)
Feel free to create an enhancement request in the bug tracker [0] so we can keep track of it.

[0] https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!