Max VLAN on nic intel

Aug 6, 2019
Spain
Good morning,

I have the following intel® ethernet i350 network cards,

What would be the maximum number of VLANS we could pass through each ethernet interface?

According to intel support, they tell me that it will depend on the Proxmox drivers.

Could someone from the team clarify this question for me?

Regards and thanks in advance.

I never ran into the limitation myself - so take this with a grain of salt, and do your own tests:
* the pve-kernel ships the in-tree drivers for the intel NICs - the output of `modinfo igb` will tell you (and Intel support) the concrete version
* a quick look in the kernel source (for the current 5.11 kernel) has an occurence of the define:
Code:
#define E1000_VLAN_FILTER_TBL_SIZE 128  /* VLAN Filter Table (4096 bits) */
which is also used in the igb driver
- so my guess would be that the limit is 128
* IIRC you should be able to configure more vlans, if you disable vlan-offloading via `ethtool`

In any case - I would suggest that you try your desired setup - and see if it presents problems (they usually are also reported in the journal/dmesg)

finally it may be possible that the card's firmware plays a role if it works or not

I hope this helps a bit!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!