Mastodon social network

Just glanced at this - what is scary to me to see is the amount of trust people give to these "turnkey" hubs, as in - supply chain attack anyone?

I wonder if PVE users understand - with the feature to be this neatly integrated - what they are actually getting, from whom.

Reactions: Johannes S and UdoB
I wonder if PVE users understand - with the feature to be this neatly integrated - what they are actually getting, from whom.
This!

Nevertheless for me Turnkey is on the more trustworthy part of "the net", at least it is a stable company (with its own interests of course). Downloading some random Docker images from an unknown person with no verifiable reputation is much more... problematic.

Reputation is one reason I do use plain Debian VMs in more than 95% or so. Also my rule is "one service = one VM", so no Multi-Docker-VMs or containers for me. Disclaimer: exceptions exist and prove that rule. :cool:

Disclaimer 2: I am talking about my homelab, my dayjob is more stringent...

Reactions: Johannes S
In the end it doesn't matter whether people download a docker file, a turnkey appilance or a "hel(l)per script" if they don't do their due dilligence.
Concerning trust I think the official docker Image of a Software is more trustworthy than a third-party-container or Script.
It doesn't matter though for people like the /r/homelab-Crowd, they won't listen to advice against trusting helper-acripts/turnkey-appilances or dockerfiles in any case.

This Problem is not pve-soecific though, lxd, truenas, unraid and incus have the same issues, which is more social than technical.

It doesn't matter though for people like the /r/homelab-Crowd, they won't listen to advice against trusting helper-acripts/turnkey-appilances or dockerfiles in any case.

I don't think this addresses the point brought into light here, where the OP clearly does not even know the payloads he is getting does NOT come from Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!