Management Console on Intel Wifi with Proxmox?

PiddlyD

Nov 28, 2020
Tried this on the r/Proxmox - but figured I might get different eyeballs posting it here, too:

Setting up an Optiplex 3020 mini as a Proxmox server. One VM running Debian with Citadel (SMTP/BBS suite).
I've got a wired NIC, hooked up to my Cisco router, the Cisco routes to a public IP address.
It is a slave to to vmbr0.

I'd like to set it up so that the VM has a public IP address, vmbr0 has a public IP address, and routes incoming traffic over that public IP address to the Citadel server. I'd like to NOT expose anything but Citadel and Apache over this public network. I assume I'm going to want to create some firewall rules, deny all but allow HTTP, HTTPS, SSH and Telnet over their assigned ports.

I'd like to set up the Wireless NIC, an Intel chipset, so that it connects to my internal, non-routable network and presents everything if possible, but just the Proxmox management console if not.

I've got the WiFi recognized, configured, and pulling a DHCP lease from my internal network. I just can't get it to respond with the management console.
Basically a dual-homed machine with an external network for public connections and an internal Wifi network for the management console, with the management console not accessible from outside.

This is not an enterprise, production, or mission critical environment - it is a casual, leisure/hobbyist environment. The Cisco router is managed, so I can't control or modify it. It exists solely to provide a public routable IP address.

Can anyone help?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!