manage disk in guest LXC

StickMonster

Nov 7, 2016
I have a spare disk and I want to use it exclusively for a LXC guest. I'd really like to manage it entirely from the guest--create/manage zfs pools, or at least datasets, from within the guest. Is that possible (in a relatively straight forward way)?

It seems like "device mounts points" is close to what I want, but I couldn't work out how to make it behave like I wanted.

Suggestions?

LXC is limited VPS and you cannot do everything. You have to use KVM to manage ZFS or others FS inside it.

LXC is limited VPS and you cannot do everything. You have to use KVM to manage ZFS or others FS inside it.

while this is incorrect (it is possible, but not advisable to lift the default restrictions on what containers are allowed to do), it is a good idea to use "real" VMs for such use cases - containers are restricted for a reason (because of the shared kernel which offers a lot of attack surface).

Can you post sources of LXC and custom FS control inside it ?

I don't know what you mean by that.. but if you want to run such an unsupported custom configuration, I suggest checking out the LXC documentation ;)
but again: changing the default security properties of a container should only be done if you really know what you are doing and accept the risks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!