Making multiple virtual ports available to Proxmox

twelveeyedfish

Jun 8, 2024
Hello,

I've seen threads asking what I'm about to ask, but the answers don't really make sense. Usually it's just "oh I figured it out and did this". What that tells me is that the way I am thinking about this is wrong so I am going to be quite specific. I'm used to working with/writing network protocols but not so much design of infrastructure which is probably where this all goes breaks for me.

I have a Proxmox running on one of those Chinese 4 port computers and it has replaced my router. I can access Proxmox through it's "Management" interface which is a physical port (connected through a switch to the LAN), that's fine. And, OPNSense is also working great in its VM. However, unsurprisingly I want to give Proxmox an IP on my internal network (my brain tells me this is a bad thing to do in the long term but it'll be very handy whilst configuring some VMs). The documentation says Proxmox makes the management interface available on any IP it sees.

I've got this idea that a bridge is a virtual switch and that has served me well so far, however I can't work out how to give a virtual network card to Proxmox (though I can give one to the OPNSense VM and in fact any other VM I create and these get an IP from OPNSense's LAN bridge) so that I can add it to OPNSense's LAN bridge which connects the outgoing physical LAN port to the rest of the network and also connects any VMs in Proxmox to the LAN.

Thanks

I've got this idea that a bridge is a virtual switch and that has served me well so far, however I can't work out how to give a virtual network card to Proxmox
If I understand you correctly: just set an IP address on the virtual bridge (on the Proxmox host). A virtual bridge wIthout an IP address causes Proxmox to not be readable via that virtual bridge, but adding an IP address "connects' it (on the IP address on that local subnet).

Reactions: twelveeyedfish
I've spent a bit more time looking at this since I first posted and although it took me a while to pick up how Proxmox does this exactly, yes, assigning an OPNSense LAN IP address and gateway to the bridge which is assigned to the OPNSense LAN works as you say.

I have tweaked the DHCP range in OPNSense to not assign IPs in the top part of the range where this static IP is based. Now I can access Proxmox from the LAN (and finally get round to setting up my other VMs!) and through the diagnostic interface.

Thanks for your help. I don't think I'd have fumbled through that easily - it's amazing what those two lines did to help. (Don't let the length of time it took fool you, I've been busy!)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!