Making files on host accessible on KVM guest

bigmo

Jan 3, 2012
Hello,

on the host i have files in a folder /folder which i want to open (read only would be ok) in my kvm guest Win7.
Is this possible in any way? Can i make a raw/qcow image out of this folder and attach the image as second drive in the kvm? Or can i map the folder to the kvm like in vmware?

Thx

I've installed samba on the host and created a share that the VM can access.

There may well be other ways; I'd be interested in the possibility of attaching a virtual disk as well (same functionality exists in VirtualBox to share host directories).

Yes this function is the same as in vmware, i can select a folder on the host, and this folder is then visible in the guest system.

Thanks for your answer Jim, but unfortunately the guest must not have a network connection, so only a direct share is possible. Perhaps someone can tell me how to create a raw/qcow image out of this files and install this image as a second hard drive to the kvm to access the files (readonly would be sufficient) so i can use the method as a workaround

If you want to access read only a set of static files, just create an iso (with a program like k3b, or with a command line tool), upload in proxmox and select in the hardware setup of the vm as content of the cdrom driver (that is present by default when you create a kvm VM)

unfortunately the guest must not have a network connection

[off topic]...are you aware that a vm always have a way to be reached through the network? otherwise you would not be able to manage it: if you are connecting to it through vnc from your browser, you are reaching it from the network. Just don't consider it to be absolutely safe just for not having virtual NICs... [/off topic]

Marco

If you want to access read only a set of static files, just create an iso (with a program like k3b, or with a command line tool), upload in proxmox and select in the hardware setup of the vm as content of the cdrom driver (that is present by default when you create a kvm VM)

Ok thx for this, this seems to be the way if the files can be read-only. Is there a simillar war to make this with rw access? Is there a way to create a diskimage-file like raw/qcow out of this files?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!