Make a mistake with apt-get

RenatoMN

Oct 1, 2008
Hello,

I added a Debian VM, started it and then, by a mistake (forgot vzctl enter VMID) run apt-get update and apt-get (then it was done on the host machine).

Got a lot errors similar to this:

Restarting PVE Cluster Server: pvemirrorperl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = "pt_BR.UTF-8",
LANG = "C"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Also, Postfix config screen has open, then I choose Internet Site (what should be done when installing a panel, like vhcs2)...

Something to worry about?! :(

Regards,
Renato

Got a lot errors similar to this:

You can savely ignore the locale errors. Or simply install the locale if you want to work on the host console. or set LANG to 'C'.

Also, Postfix config screen has open, then I choose Internet Site (what should be done when installing a panel, like vhcs2)...

We already fixed this for the next release. For now, just answer the questions to configure postfix.

- Dietmar

who set 'LC_ALL=pt_BR.UTF-8'? this should be C instead (or install the locale - see 'man locale-gen')

- Dietmar

I did nothing related to "locale" files or language configs. Just installed Proxmox VE 0.9beta2 and some OpenVZ VMs.

Should I run "export LC_ALL=C" ?

Also, the apt-get upgrade was executed with VMs running, any problem with this?

Note: apt-get dist-upgrade is recommended in any time for those who installed 0.9beta2, or only those with older versions should run it?

Regards,
Renato

I did nothing related to "locale" files or language configs. Just installed Proxmox VE 0.9beta2 and some OpenVZ VMs.
Should I run "export LC_ALL=C" ?

generate the locale:

Code:
echo "pt_BR.UTF-8 UTF-8" >>/etc/locale.gen
locale-gen

Also, the apt-get upgrade was executed with VMs running, any problem with this?

I would restart the machine.

Note: apt-get dist-upgrade is recommended in any time for those who installed 0.9beta2, or only those with older versions should run it?

Its needed to get the ssh security updates installed.

- Dietmar

who set 'LC_ALL=pt_BR.UTF-8'? this should be C instead (or install the locale - see 'man locale-gen')

- Dietmar

It happens automatically if you logging throuth ssh from a machine with that locale see /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
# Allow client to pass locale environment variables
AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

If you comment that out and restart the ssh daemon (or alternatively as you pointed out, generate the appropiate locale on the vm), it will not display those messages

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!